'98 Explosif rebuild project (aka scrapheap challenge!)

How far down Sheldon's list for un-sticking seatposts have you got? As I remember it gets pretty brutal in the last third :shock: :LOL:

Also wondered what the builder(s) thought of the top tube dent?

Would be great to see it up & running again :)

Khane - thanks for the tip on the ride nr Ashby. Sadly I'm not East Mids based anymore, I'm up in Leeds. The Leicester link is that I grew up over the border in Northants and BITD before t'internet I'd always take the opportunity to call in to the decent bike shops whenever I was out and about.

I met Keith Bontrager at one of the earlier bike shows down in London just after I impulse purchased the Privateer. It's pretty much top of my list of "bikes I wish I'd not sold". Think it went on a PX against an M2 Stumpjumper, so all not lost I guess!

Back on topic anyway...

elPedro - the seatpost saga: tried a mix of Sheldon Brown's tips and some ideas in my old copy of Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance. I decided to stop short of the heat and hacksaw steps as I was concerned heavy handed enthusiasm on my part might do more harm than good, and thought I'd leave it to the pro's.

The guys at Bob Jackson were very helpful last weekend - they seemed to think the couple of dents (found a small one on the drive side chainstay too) and the seatpost wouldn't be a problem and quoted me for a repaint.

But, I've now decided this is more of a project than I really have the time and resources for so it may be best passed on to someone able to make a better job of it. It's not for sale (yet) but there are dibs on the frame at the moment. If that doesn't work out, I'll put up the frame, forks and the rest of the bits up.

More pics to follow.

Over and out for now!

Attachments

• P1060553.JPG
    P1060553.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,510
  • P1060554.JPG
    P1060554.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,510
  • P1060558.JPG
    P1060558.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 1,510