98 Kona Explosif - 98 Kona Hot - both 853; framewise where they differ ?

magas

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
1704807480558.png

That's my 98 Reynolds 853 Explosif - unfortunatly not original in terms of paint and therefore all the other specs are also not really 98. Anyway...

Currently there is a 98 Hot for sale - which looks stunning in the custom paint - but besides that where the Hot frame differs from the Explosif frame of same tubing and vintage ?

I assume that the Explosif has the maintriangle made of 853 but all other tubes just generic, where the Hot might either has full 853 tubing or at least instead of generic has a better tubing of seatstays aso. ?

Hi Magas,
It is my understanding that the '98 Explosif is a full 853 frame.
The '99 Explosif had an 853 main triangle and generic stays. Cost cutting at Kona I guess.

The Kona Hot '98 had a full 853 frame with an 853 Bi-ovalised down tube. I think that it is mentioned in the '98 catalogue. My '98 Hot which I imported from forum member Mr Zero had this tubing. Sadly I parted with it ten or so years ago.

Hey Konaman, I bought your metallic green Hot frame from you about 10 years ago and I foolishly sold it before i built it. One of my biggest regrets and i keep looking for another one! :(

hope you are well!

Back