1999 Kona Explosif Project - The Explosif Discreet.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

Another project for us all to think about. My 1999 Kona Explosif is due some frame repair and a respray. My idea is to have the small dent in the top tube filled by a frame builder, I have a local Reynolds approved frame chap who can do this for me then have the frame powder coated. I plan to have it re finished in a shiny black but with the decals custom made by Gil in a contrasting matt finish and in a small font, this will also include the Reynolds 853 frame sticker. The end result will be quite good I think as from afar it will look like a full black frame but on closer inspection you will see the 'Kona Explosif Discreet' decals and the Reynolds 853.

The rest of the bike will be based around a single speed build with front and rear V-Brakes and White Industries front and rear wheels. I'll be running it fully rigid with Triple Butted Project 2 forks, should I have the forks and bar stem powder coated to match the frame or go for a contrasting gun metal maybe? Overall I'm thinking a black / shiny aluminium finish. The shiny parts will be the wheels, headset and chain set etc. I'm also toying with the idea of Schwalbe Kojak all black tyres.

What do you think.

Trebz

Not sure about a black frame, I once owned a bike that was entirely black and always felt as if every car I came across was trying to run me over because it was so stealth like. I'd be tempted by grey with ever so slightly darker grey decals and black components.

Sounds like a cool project. I think gun metal grey would be nice for fork and stem,bars etc. To contrast. Although to counter, I also think matte black powdercoat with contrasting shiny black decals could be quite appealing. I love stealthy bikes.

Not sure about a black frame, I once owned a bike that was entirely black and always felt as if every car I came across was trying to run me over because it was so stealth like. I'd be tempted by grey with ever so slightly darker grey decals and black components.
I don't see what your problem is, it'll have a silver headset !!

Hehehehheh ;-)

Big fan of all black frame and components, full stealth mode. My Yo has black decals which you can see fine from some angles. Not matt just normal but black has different shades and the finish will be slightly different too so you could get away with just normal decals instead of matt.

As for forks, if not going all black then silver forks and stem would look nice against it, chrome even better.

P1012327.JPG

Back