'94 - Maybe Mavic Neutral Service? - GT Edge

br0qn

Retro Guru
Well this thread over here popped up and inspired me to make a thread of my own.

Will keep it as short as my ownership of the bike was and just post the pics for posterity.

I had been hunting a project for my first road bike and I couldn't get the triple triangle out of my head. I found this bike and though I had my doubts it was a size large for me I couldn't pass it up. Then, as it was was en route the Ti Edge popped up in the size down. Go figure.

Much like the Bontrager OR and the Race Lite ,which I got on the same morning from 2 different sellers, I had 2 Edge's within 2 days.

This one came to me complete as you see it, slapped it together with my own post, saddle and pedals and rode it around for a day. The guy who had it prior to me got it from a friend that said it was a Mavic Neutral Service bike but he nor I had any way of verifying that. It didn't matter to me anyhow, but was surely a bonus. I'd found a little info about the Edge in my research but I had questions so I contacted @SeeingisBelievingGTMuseum on facebook with some questions I had. He let me know that the tubeset was for certain Excell Superlite which I was unsure about. I thought perhaps True Temper which GT used for the Edge prior to switching to Reynolds 853. True Temper was '95 only I think though some of the early '95 bikes were Excell as well?

I also thought maybe I got a Nobilette built frame but @SeeingisBelievingGTMuseum said most likely there'd be an "N" somewhere on the BB shell which I couldn't find.

As we were shooting it up a bit he let me know he knew someone that would very much want the frame if I decided it was too big and after a day on it with slammed seatpost I felt for sure the 50 would do me better. And so off it went to a new home, I don't believe he's a member here or I'd let him share the bike and his build so instead I'll post the pics I took during those 72 hours in which I was her steward.

In any case, it's a '94 sz 52 and it's pretty glorious.

94_GT-Edge_Excell-1.jpg

94_GT-Edge_Excell-2.jpg

94_GT-Edge_Excell-3.jpg

94_GT-Edge_Excell-4.jpg

94_GT-Edge_Excell-5.jpg

94_GT-Edge_Excell-6.jpg

...continued below

Last edited:
That's lovely. I had a similar vintage 58 in blue. Sold it when I got my ti bike. It was a really nice bike to ride
there is a really beautiful blue 58 for sale here in Los Angeles right now. The carbon fork has a fade which I've not seen before.

Attachments

• 364208949_6458992397527986_4010376675145331416_n.jpg
    364208949_6458992397527986_4010376675145331416_n.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 11
there is a really beautiful blue 58 for sale here in Los Angeles right now. The carbon fork has a fade which I've not seen before.
That's very nice. Mine came with a steel fork - interesting to see it with a carbon one. I think if I were to get another one I'd look for a 56 as I found the 58 very stretched out for my old back. Or, I'd see if I could get a Ti version.

As far as I know GT never provides bikes for the yellow Mavic neutrl service. I knew it were Cannondales till 2014 and than in 2015 Canyon was the brand. In the earliet days...??? Must have been French brands. Nowadays totaly overruled by Shimano. However in some minor races in France Mavic is fighting her way back, since their re-erection

As far as I know GT never provides bikes for the yellow Mavic neutrl service. I knew it were Cannondales till 2014 and than in 2015 Canyon was the brand. In the earliet days...??? Must have been French brands. Nowadays totaly overruled by Shimano. However in some minor races in France Mavic is fighting her way back, since their re-erection

Apparently they did for at least the 94/5 Tour DuPont though I've struggled to find pictures

here's a sweet video i found that has some great footage. you can spot an Edge Ti in there and I spotted a mavic car but couldn't make out any bikes

and proof that it wasn't all cannondale prior to 2014

14195194_10206935284292451_3319102313692400933_o.jpg

Back