91 Carrera Katmandu

I really like it and can't believe the paint condition. Loving the group set, I must do a Suntour build one day.

As a kid I only had a Falcon ATB, a Carrera would have made me very very happy ;)

I had a 94ish B52 a while back, pretty much standard and I was surprised how well it rode.
DA1AAA73-A906-4756-A8D4-51539337E20E_zpsls8nyfmq.jpg

Re:

I built one of these for my boy a few years back, around STX parts was a nice ride for him before to grew into a lanky monster :)

My first MTB was a Carrera Krakatoa. I guess a few notches down in the range from this. It was heavy as hell and came with Exage Biopace and tyres that were as useful as slicks in the mud. A few pocket money upgrades and some Farmer John's Nephew tyres meant that I could at least get it up muddy hills (round muddy corners was another matter with the FJN tyres!).

As a bike, an ill fitting 'Crapatoa' was pretty awful. OTOH, the mountain biking bug bit!

Hello Al,

I used to have exactly this bike - Deore LX, bought from Halfords for £320 with my savings from a Saturday job. I loved it, I replaced everything I could with purple bits, I think I ended up with snowflaked wheels and X-Lite bars / barends and a whole host of widgets I didnt need. Rode it for years, took off all the decals and covered it with Oakley ones.

I thought it was a great bike - I remember it like my first girlfriend!

J

JohnMarin_77":2sa498tc said:
Hello Al,

I used to have exactly this bike - Deore LX, bought from Halfords for £320 with my savings from a Saturday job. I loved it, I replaced everything I could with purple bits, I think I ended up with snowflaked wheels and X-Lite bars / barends and a whole host of widgets I didnt need. Rode it for years, took off all the decals and covered it with Oakley ones.

I thought it was a great bike - I remember it like my first girlfriend!

J

Hi, That's the reason I'm putting so much into getting this bike looking and riding well. We all started somewhere and if we don't preserve these bikes they'll disappear for good.

I'm slightly worried about you remembering a bike like your girlfriend though!

al.

Re:

Al, I put a lot more hours into my Carrera than I did my stroppy girlfriend! It was a lot easier to strip and polish my Carrera...

J

I always had a bit of a soft spot for Carerras - this one had impressive rear mud clearance

file.php

Nicely put together too - same factory as Gary Fisher?

file.php

file.php

Re:

Hooge tyre clearance, what frame was that?

al.

Back