90's Azonic DS1 build advice

teerex

Retro Newbie
Hello to all retrobike forumites.

First time poster looking for a few bits of advice.

Just dug out my once well loved Azonic DS1 frame, which was bought around 1999, and I believe it is a 14 inch frame. I am interested in building it up as a singlespeed workhorse with rigid forks. She looks like this (not my picture, but I am 99% sure that it is exactly the same frame, same colour etc.)

IMG_0314.jpg

whats I firstly need to know is what (if any) rigid forks would be suitable for this frame? If i recall correctly it was designed for a long(ish) travel suspension fork, but I am hoping that this may not necessarily be a problem. Any suggestions on an affordable and fairly strong fork if it is possible?

secondly - currently it is built up with a cassette on the back and a single ring on the front. I assume that with its horizontal dropouts that a single speed wheel would be easy to put in, would this also apply to purchasing a single speed conversion kit for the current cassette hub?

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can give me.

Cheers

Hi teerex, I won't be a great help but I have one too if you'd like me to take any sizes I'll see what I can do. SS is fairly easy though I found it a pain setting up the disc brakes, if your running V's this won't be a problem. Rear tyre clearance is a bit of a bugger, I could only fit in a 2.1(albeit a large 2.1). If you do a search you should find it somewhere on here :)

Thanks for the reply Kaiser.

I thought that setting it up as an ss wouldn't be too much of a problem - will be running a v brake so thankfully setting up discs wont be an issue.

What I really need to know is whether fitting a rigid fork would be a possibility, taking into account that the frames geometry is designed for a long travel fork. I am assuming it has a 'standard' (1 1/8"??) size head tube in terms of what forks will fit, it currently has an old pair of Bomber Z4s - so a rigid fork with with whatever size steerer tube they would have is I guess what I should be looking for?

Have searched the forums for an awnser to this but dont really know what to search for and have so far found nothing.

Anyone? Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks in advance

I can't give you any advice I'm afraid but I will be watching your build with alot of interest :)

I'm after building the same sort of thing with my Specialized frame.

Good luck!

if its was mine it would be built with the classic dj combo

z1

profile cranks and ring

hope hubs on d521 sup cd's

hope c2's

azonic shorty stem and double wall bars

ame grips

xlite pss1 and syncros post.

irc kujo dh tyres

jamabikes":9ipdogv9 said:
if its was mine it would be built with the classic dj combo

z1

profile cranks and ring

hope hubs on d521 sup cd's

hope c2's

azonic shorty stem and double wall bars

ame grips

xlite pss1 and syncros post.

irc kujo dh tyres

I agree, I loved Azonic DS1's back in the day but never had one. Had a polished planet-x jack flash but its not really as classy. Here's my current dj set up from that era (made a few changes since the pic inc 38T ring, dmr guide, etc)..

bike3s.jpg

bike4s.jpg

Next upgrade is a gold seat post and blue clamp, xtr rear mech, maybe some new rims in black or another colour.

kaiser":39go972x said:
This ones mine :)

4538745820_73385f0b94_b.jpg

Nice, are those the 2000 longer travel (5") z1's? I was always a bit gutted I hadn't waited a bit and got those. You also have the slightly newer hope M4's. I always wanted the dh4's back in the day but just couldn't afford them, had magura Hs33 tomacs on mine up until I got the dh4's off this forum last year :)

I look forward to a time when when 1998 - 2000 is considered retro on here and it's looked upon slightly more fondly, it's my fave era.

Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it.

My plans for the build are to keep it as simple and clean as possible.

Black trailblades
Black risers
Singlspeed
Rear disc only
Some big old tyres

Will keep you posted on any progress

Back