'89 Ritchey TimberComp - more pics

was8v":14f5dwbq said:
I think its looks great - you've made a bike suited to you :)

The only problem is that the "value" of the original classic has plummeted. But that can be easily brought back with a repaint and hanging the original components back on it.

That quarter of a century patina can't be replicated though.

I wish it could, I would make a killing in the classic car game!! ;)

al.

was8v":1dtv6m1v said:
that can be easily brought back with a repaint and hanging the original components back on it.

Except powder-coat is not so easy to get rid of.
And the original Imron wet-paint and decals are impossible (almost?) to get.

None my bikes are shiny, period-correct or expensive like many on this website.
So, usually, I have no time for "purist" attitudes.
But I've never been fortunate enough to own a hand made, fillet-brazed 80s Ritchey.

Let's just say I wouldn't have done it that way. :?

Wow--- I remember seeing this on the 'Bay (wasn't from the US?) and really digging it. Such awesome paint. The subdued purple and white two tone--fantastic!

And revisiting the pics again was fun. Some issues with the build, but looks like a fun ride......and then I scrolled down.

Dang, man. That's pretty much murder. Not a bad build....but WHY do it to *that* bike?! Ugh. Major fail.

legrandefromage":3poxfmki said:
Now its just a grey boring looking single speed.

It was yours to do with as you please but in the name of all things shiney

Why the hell did you do that???

The biggest reason was the rust spots, both under the BB and on the cable stop on the top tube. I loved the old paint (maybe not as much as some of you) but I wanted to make sure the cable stop wasnt going to pull off and didnt want anymore rust to creep onto the BB shell.

I'm not trying to start a Ritchey museum, I get them because I think he built the best frames and forks for the type of riding that I do.

I have all of the original parts in a box, should Old World MTB Champs ever come within reasonable flying distance. As for the singlespeed aspect... what can I say, it's the way that I like to ride!

For what its worth, the grey has a nice metallic fleck in it :D

Karlomanx (and everyone else who is feeling let down/depressed by it) spare a thought for all of the Ritcheys (or any classic MTB out there) that have been restored to their former glory, perfect in every detail, only to sit in someones spare room to look nice or be ridden 3 times a year on softly=does-it trail. I think that's the real shame! This one is banging handlebars with 5" travel XC bikes most weekends and sometimes giving them a fair kicking. The powder made sure that it'll keep doing that for (hopefully) another 20 years.

bikes are for riding and if you love it and ride it more then more power to your elbow but I have to be honest I am crying inside as I type these words :(

hehehe.... thanks for the responses! I've always pointed friends in the direction of this site for a benchmark of bicycle fanaticism and this thread has been a top example.

Something that I wonder about is the stem on the bike in its first set up. It was non original and a real dog compared to fillet brazed stem that came on it stock. Not a single comment about it. Considering that I still have all of the parts from that build and could reassemble the bike tomorrow, the only irreversible part of the revamp is the paint, which I think is what people are taking issue with. People jump on me for paint, but no worries about a one third of the handmade parts being missing. So do I assume that people would have preferred the bike with original paint and a zoom stem over this bike with original parts and original fillet brazed stem? Do people love Ritcheys because of the paint?! Are people here not the impeccable judge of fine bicycles that I thought they were? I can only assume that people think the paint is important because they have no idea how nice the ride is. I wonder if P20 would care if his bike was turned grey? The answers don't matter at all, but I thought I'd ask anyway, just to put the bike back to the top of the forum :)

The idea to powder purple and add white on top crossed my mind, but it would only have been half right, same goes for adding more touch ups. It doesn't bother me at all that nobody knows its a Ritchey, let alone a Timbercomp, let alone 21 years old. It stands as a great bike right now, no caveats, and I think that's the best respect that anyone can pay to a bike.

Back