700c wheels on 26” mtb?

Bought this last year and it's been my winter workhorse pending a drop bar conversion in the Spring. It was already converted so I can't help in regards to the process, but as a 26er frameset with 700c it's a wonderful bike to ride. It has a character all of its own with the comfort and agility of a classic mtb and added pace. Definitely worth trying.

Whoever did the conversion physically relocated the rear brake studs, I suspect it was done by Overbury's as the fork seems to have been made for 700c, yet they match exactly the Pioneer forks from that time. Also it was bought in Bristol from the original buyers estate.
P1010022.JPG

Last edited:
I run Litepro Long arm v-brakes on my Kona hot with 700c wheels.. (pics below from when i had my rockhopper on 700c)

the pad adjustment is huge up and down and they fit 700c wheels on the standard bosses!
Used with decent brake pads they're plenty powerful enough for skinny tyres..

Link below to them on ebay.. (i dont think this is the seller i used though..)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385277149994
they came delivered from china in a week or two.. :)

View attachment 708867View attachment 708868
+1 for Litepro. Run their stuff on multiple bikes, good value stuff with plenty versatility.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Those litepro brakes might be the way to go, thanks @spacehopper. I think the brake post extenders that have also been suggested are only suitable if the original brake posts are unscrewable. Mine are welded to the frame.
Some nice pics uploaded of people’s 26/700 bikes, thanks.

Being the childlike soul that I am I would have stickerbombed the adapter
I’m now having concerns over the non-central location of the Mavic one.

Oddly, the slightly off centre of the wheel doesn’t bother me as it’s due to the spacer to adjust 130mm hubs to 135mm frame. I know a steel frame would be ok, but feels wrong. On the positive side, just need to find some nice 135mm 700c wheels. 🙂

I’m now having concerns over the non-central location of the Mavic one.

Oddly, the slightly off centre of the wheel doesn’t bother me as it’s due to the spacer to adjust 130mm hubs to 135mm frame. I know a steel frame would be ok, but feels wrong. On the positive side, just need to find some nice 135mm 700c wheels. 🙂
Why does it concern you?

Back