'50s Period Wheels - What concessions to make? (if any!)

You probably know this already, but if the rims aren't hooked, use a sufficiently stout, wire bead tyre and never folders!

Finding any pair of 32/40 rims is very difficult.

Dunlop Special Lightweight rims (of the chromed steel variety) were still stock on some factory made bikes in the early 60's, such as Raleigh Gran Sport.

I've never encountered the stainless ones in the real world, but have been very happy with the chromed steel ones I've encountered. I would not pass up an opportunity to use them again, especially the stainless ones.

Thanks for the further replies. Yep, definitely going to use the Dunlop rims. And appreciate the tyre info. All to aware of the type of tyre I need to use, as 27 x 1 1/4 gumwall tyres of any quality seem such a pain to get hold of! Probably have to settle on World Tours or the like. I'll post some photos of the built wheels when done if anyone is interested.

Cheesedisease":3g9qsh3m said:
Thanks for the further replies. Yep, definitely going to use the Dunlop rims. And appreciate the tyre info. All to aware of the type of tyre I need to use, as 27 x 1 1/4 gumwall tyres of any quality seem such a pain to get hold of! Probably have to settle on World Tours or the like. I'll post some photos of the built wheels when done if anyone is interested.

What about these: http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... GMQ8wIwAA#

I have them on my 1980 Raleigh Record Ace - only had a couple of runs on them so far (bike is kept at my parents) but they are much better than the ancient and very cracked, rock hard World Tours it had on before (any use of the back brake produced a skid!). Only downside is that they have lots of tread pattern to pick up mud so hard to clean but they are decent quality and decent price. Certainly better than World Tours.

+1 to Paselas.

Geeky question.. What would be most appropriate for a 50s build, 27x1 1/4 or 27x1 tyres?

(I know 27x1 Paselas are hard to come by in the UK, but I might have some on the way from a friend)

Back