2018 TdF chit-chat

Re:

The image of the four echelons just after the start was superb.

Who'd have thought it that it made two distinct races on the same course with plenty enough time between
the two finishes to go to the fridge for more beer without missing action.

Well deserved combative winner for being on the rivet and keeping us in suspense for 40km.

Re:

I can't see team orders coming in to play now. Froome is only 10 secs ahead of Dumoulin which he will likely lose in the TT. If he rides to close the gap on G, he has to drop Dumoulin or he risks both G and himself!

Re:

Yeah, the next few days will be interesting. I have a hunch that team Sky are needlessly wasting too much energy, and other individual riders are more than capable to put the boot in on Froome / Thomas.

Re:

Tomorrow will show everything. Every man for himself over 65km. No domestique trains will be there. Froome and Thomas will be on the defensive. All will be man on man, either climbing or descending, no valleys between climbs for teams to take control.
The cynic in me sees the organisers having included such a stage as anti-sky measure

Re:

I think the days of 'designing' courses for riders and teams was well over by the early 80s.

Massive peletons storming down drag strups etc. just makes dull
racing. I'm loving the fact that
the tour is including far more
off-beat technical minor rodes.

The kind of road you see and think
that would be great to cycle myself. The TdF is a window to
France's landscape and does it's
part in promoting tourism. The Interior Minister has been present
a few days.

There's a debate on the French channels about banning power meters and radios in racing to remove some staleness.

Of course this would all be terrible to Sir David who plans and executes processes.

I'm all for more instinctive riding, risk taking and own rider decision making. Otherwise, the rider is reduced to just legs with a remote button.

Re: Re:

Woz":3m32uv6o said:
There's a debate on the French channels about banning power meters and radios in racing to remove some staleness......

I'm all for more instinctive riding, risk taking and own rider decision making. Otherwise, the rider is reduced to just legs with a remote button.
Amen to that bro

Thoughts about today? A massive drag race? Or a tactical stale-mate?

I admire the concept. Maybe they could try doing it with a reverse grid or a completely random grid and with longer time gaps. How about a touring car approach with weight penalties :LOL:

Sky in 2018 are Banesto in 1992. Same dominance, different technology. These things come in cycles (sic). Perhaps the French could take a look at how they structure the race and shake things up top to bottom.

For example, if you put 3 crazy mountain stages back to back and - for arguments sake - riders are clean, the chances are you'll have riders thinking and planning for the third stage not the first and second, and trying to survive to the other side.

Or, like yesterday, putting 3 big climbs without a summit finish, more often than not, isn't going to encourage an attacking approach many would like to see from the main contenders.

Re:

I'll comment more about GC etc. after some wine,
but what the hell happened to Sagan?

It was all off camera, hope he can still carry on to Paris. He looked
like crsp when he finished.

Bardet didn't look to well either and almost fainted at the end of an interview.

Froome cracked.

Re: Re:

roadking":2lwoync6 said:
I get it now, petulant and conceited know-it-all know nothing teenager. I hope your one brain cell doesn't die of loneliness.

Have a nice day.

Rk.

Paging Mr Rude King

Can you smell the coffee or are you still in your own universe of righteousness?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44924435

Or have Wada and the BBC join the ranks of the aforementioned group you associated me with?

Latest posts

Back