2014 'eaton' framed 29er

Re:

They ride really nice. I had a pair of Salsa Cromotos on my last rigid modern bike and they feel pretty similar actually.
The one thing I will be changing is the bars. They're much narrower than the Thomsons and I really noticed it.
I had a go at one of the steepest hills on my regular route in something like the gearing I'd use for singlespeed. I got up it (just!) but it was bloody hard.
That was where I really noticed the bars the most though

Re:

First ride out today as a single speed!
It had always been my plan to go down this route for the winter months.
The trails I ride are usualy half submerged through the winter, and this kills any kind of moving parts.
I had a rigid 1x9 Rock Lobster that I used through last winter, but this was sold once the eaton was born.
I bought the single speed bits from Superstar. There were a few teathing problems this morning, and there were a few chain slips at the start of the ride, but overall I loved how it rode.
I had to push the last bit of a couple of steep hills, but I think that was mainly down to my fitness levels.

Re:

Love this bike :cool:

Looks pretty filthy again ! Are the tyres still going well ? I am well pleased with them on mine, rode it in some horrendous shite the week before last and they coped very well.

Will have to have a winter meet some time in the new year I think :cool:

Re:

Thanks James.
The tyres are doing great. A bit sketchy on some of the really slimey stuff, when hitting at speed, but only a dedicated mud tyre would handle that better.
The chain ferry is out of action at the moment, so I couldn't ride my usual trails to get an idea on how the ss will perform

Re:

Ace pics again. I want a ss but fitness is so far from good enough to enjoy it!

What tyres are they? I'm on onza lynx and really like them so far but not been out in the real filth yet!

Re:

I've never been 100% happy with the frame finish on this. The polished metal looked great, but even clear powder-coat couldn't adhere to it properly.
I already had multiple chips, and these were beginning to rust.
With the Sandbanks ferry being out of action for 6 weeks, which hugely limits my riding, I decided this was a good time to do something about this.
I had 2 retro frames that needed sand-blasting, so I decided to bite the bullet, strip the eaton and get it blasted too.
When I dropped the frame off, I mentioned to the guy that I was going to get the frame clear powder-coated again and he told me that they had a seperate company who could do this for me.
I left the whole lot with him 2 weeks ago, and collected yesterday.
I was going to go for blasted/coated to start with on this frame, and I now wish I'd stuck with this idea.
I think it looks even better than the polished finish, and the powder now has a nice porous surface to bind too.

I now get to build it up all over again too :D

Back