2014 'eaton' framed 29er

Re:

I got home from work early today so took the bike for it's maiden voyage on my local trails.
This was the real test for me, as I know exactly how previous bikes have felt on these trails.
I'm still a happy man! The bike just felt like it wanted to go faster all the time.
I haven't really ridden much in the past few months, so I was trying to take it steady. That didn't happen.
The only thing that held the bike back was it's rider.
I'm off to Afan this weekend so it will be getting a proper battering there.

A pic from the top of the Purbecks (while I got my breath back)

Re: Re:

makster":10tcncus said:
I got home from work early today so took the bike for it's maiden voyage on my local trails.
This was the real test for me, as I know exactly how previous bikes have felt on these trails.
I'm still a happy man! The bike just felt like it wanted to go faster all the time.
I haven't really ridden much in the past few months, so I was trying to take it steady. That didn't happen.
The only thing that held the bike back was it's rider.
I'm off to Afan this weekend so it will be getting a proper battering there.

A pic from the top of the Purbecks (while I got my breath back)

Great !

That shadow is begging for a caption competition as well ! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Re:

I thought I'd update this thread a bit.
I've been giving the eaton a good thrashing over the past month or so.
The weekend I spent in Afan with it was fantastic. I was a tad concerned about throwing a frame I made myself through rock gardens, but it just rode perfectly.
I was quicker both up and down hill than mates riding full sus 29ers and didn't once feel like I needed more bike.
The steel frame took just enough of the trail buzz out so that I didn't feel beat up at the bottom of runs (like I did on my Canyon).
There are however a couple of issues that have surfaced... the clear powder coat simply isn't tough enough for how I use this bike.
I've already got areas where the coating has chipped and surface rust spots are appearing.
I'm pretty sure this is all down to the polished finish not giving the coating enough of a key to adhere too.
I'm now torn between getting it lightly blasted and clear coated again or just getting it painted.
I've been invited by Downland Cycles to have the bike on their stand at Bespoked next year, so I may try again with the clear-coat.
The more serious issue was some light creasing of the seat tube around the seat clamp.
This was due to using the shim. I've now ditched this idea and bought a cheapo post in the correct size while I source another Thomson.
What I have also been doing is getting the bike ready for a Purbecks winter.
The trails I ride are really sandy in places and this turns into grinding paste in the winter.
I'd been looking for some rigid forks and then spotted some Tange Infinity offering from Charge..and in a chrome finish!
I must have bene the only person who was interested in them as I won them for £20.
I needed to buy a convertor from Hope to fit them to the tapered headset. I also swapped out the carbon Thomson bars for some Control Tech that I had hanging about. I really don't want any of that grinding paste getting in under my light mounts and ruining the carbon.
So, here she is again in winter spec....

My next step is to try a single speed kit on it ;)

Re:

I've already spoken to Alistair about paint, before I had it polished etc.
The paint job I wanted was going to be about £350, and I didn't want to pay that without having even ridden the frame.
If I do get it painted, this is where I'll be taking it

Re:

Looks fantastic as a rigid too, Mark. Pleased to see it's getting ridden a lot and showing your mates the way to go as well ! :cool:

Also, great link Jon, local to me, excellent.
I'll be getting in touch with them soon if my latest project goes Pete Tong ;)

Mike

Back