20 yr old Saracen Kiliflyer needs new bottom bracket?

Get a silver one, polish it up, like really polish it, go down to your local art college and bung a technician a few quid to anodise it black.

But as to your method of removing the crank, I had a similar problem last night, removing the crank set from my mid nineties Saracen. The chainset was stuck solid and I could see the corrosion in there. I sprayed '' Plus Gas'' into the hole and left it for ten minutes, then fitted the extractor and wound it in, still stuck. I am of the belief that if something is stuck, find another way, so I did. Pressure applied via the extractor, a bit of heat on the crank surround, note, small flame, the plus gas caught fire, but burnt off, then next job was tap the crank around the extractor with a soft faced mallet, then ...bang..., a hot chainset launched itself off the axle and landed in my lap, years of tension released at last, only to find my bottom bracket is a bit notchy in rotation.

Question, is a notchy feeling bottom bracket, a U/s bottom bracket, I can only detect the notchiness with the cranks removed, not with the cranks fitted. It's one of those sealed thingies, which means another tool to buy, a stillson wrench does'nt work, it bends the plastic.

Back