20 yr old Saracen Kiliflyer needs new bottom bracket?

The thread on the bolt and inside the . It's only the thread for using the the removal tool and the dust cover thats gone. Once the bolts back in the crank can't come off can it. Er.. can it?

Sorry, yes you're right. The crank bolts hold the cranks on by screwing into the bb axle. I was getting confused a bit as I use self extracting crank bolts which need a good thread in the crank to work (remove). Oops.

Update - had some fun with the gear puller, neat tool, does what it's supposed to........

Anyway.. I finally finished sawing the crank off and wondered where to go next! :cry:

Should I replace just the crank - where would I get an original / suitable one?

Or given the state of the bottom bracket, replace that and get a new chainset. What replaces a 20yr old Biopace 46/36/26 chainset?

Suggestions and advice will be much appreciated.

Oh man...

You're mocking me! Where did you get that picture of my bike from so long ago!!!

I've been trying to stay practical about this - but that just makes me feel like I'm being irreversibly, irresistibly dragged into something I didn't expect... namely to 'keep it original'. Won't that cost me a packet - and then make me feel guilty about using the bike for what it's intended?

How old is that pic? How does that bike look so new? Mine will never look so good!

thats how it looks right now, if you come along to mountain mayhem you could see it in the flesh!

Any idea where I might get nos black biopace chainset?

Only seen in chrome and is deore LX....

Back