20 yr old Saracen Kiliflyer needs new bottom bracket?

It's called a gear puller and you can get them from motor centres or the like. Maybe your local garage would lend you one? Or wheel your bike there and they'll whip it off for you in 20 seconds.

The pic above appears to be for one that costs £95 at Halfords - can the cheapo ones like THIS do the job just as well for me?

Sorry to ask so many (probably) dumb questions!

I just picked the first picture of a gear puller that I came across. The one you have linked to looks to be pretty much the same thing but you have to assemble the tool yourself, strange but there you go, I suppose the bonus is it packs neatly away in a box.

If your cranks are completely screwed then you may as well just cut them off and save the expense. Just saw a slot or maybe two in the crank where it joins the bb axle and tap off with a hammer and punch. Or are you concerned you might damage something else?

I'm hoping the cranks are okay. I have a lot of movement in the bottom bracket - which I want to get out to see if it just needs a regrease or new bearings - or replacing. The posts above are advising to service rather than replace.
I'm keen to do the work myself - just because I've had the bike so long and am hoping I can retain it as original as poss - and keep the kudos to myself for looking after it.
Of course - I'm more than happy to share the 'intellectual' rights to the work I've done - I think you own those so far if I go ahead - so cheers!!

I thought you said the threads stripped out of the crank when you used the crank puller? I was assuming they were FUBAR.

Cutting the cranks off won't ruin your BB, just make sure that you hacksaw through the soft aluminium of the crank shoulder, prise apart with a screwdriver and tap off with a hammer. Nowt intellectual there. ;) I didn't mean hacksaw through the bb axle! :LOL:

If you reckon you can use the cranks again then apart from the puller I can't think of another non destructive method. Even using heat would probably remove some paint unless you had it well shielded - difficult?

Yes - I was hoping to keep using the cranks. The thread is only there for removal right? So I thought I'd buy the cheap gear puller and try that. If no joy then I guessI'll resort to the sawing!

Have a look....

Attachments

• CrankThreadGone.jpg
    CrankThreadGone.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 813
The thread is there for the crank bolt to keep the cranks fixed to the bb as well. Although it seems yours doesn't need it. :roll:

I've seen it suggested before that if you ride around on it without the crank bolt in it may work the crank loose.

:)

Back