1998 Bianchi Nth x34 ST and a Homegrown Team

MuchAlohaNui

Senior Retro Guru
Long time lurker, 1st time sharer.

To preface the Bianchi Nth, I picked up a frame-only 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Team in 2012. At the time I was in college and couldn't afford to put all the original parts on that frame; Titec titanium parts, M950 group set, blue SID XC dual air 80mm fork and green/gumwall Wild Grippers. So to get the bike working I settled with a hodge podge of parts and slowly bought M950 components as they came available for a respectable price. Over the years, I lost motivation in having a parts-specific Homegrown.

In part due to this website and looking at builds as a lurker, I recently found motivation to get this Homegrown finished. Parts after all, are only becoming less available and more expensive. I did a cursory local search for green Wild Gripper's and in that, comes the 1998 Bianchi Nth. This bike was for sale and a three hour drive. I made arrangements with the original owner and worked out a fair price and picked it up last night.

My original intentions were to buy the bike for the fork and tires, but this thing is so neat, I am not sure what to do. At any rate, let me share this rather interesting bike with you. (Also, can someone point me in the right direction to a 1998 Bianchi MTB catalog?)

1998 Bianchi Nth x34 ST
Steel frame
1999 Sid Dual Air XC
Mavic 717 rims & M850 hubs
M850 cassette, derailleurs and shifters
Avid Single Digit 7 brakes and levers
Raceface stem and bars
Offbrand pedals (original owner kept the Bianchi pedals)

Weight: 10.5 kg

3O1F3942.JPG 3O1F3943.JPG 3O1F3945.JPG 3O1F3948.JPG 3O1F3949.JPG 3O1F3950.JPG 3O1F3951.JPG 3O1F3952.JPG 3O1F3953.JPG

Last edited:
The black/bass boat gold Factory Team frames are pretty rare. Are you doing a catalog specific build? You’re missing the Mystery Badge on the seat tube there. Conversely, the Schwinn emblem on the head tube of my frame is a bit tattered. I searched FOREVER for a Titec titanium seat post in the correct diameter to pop up for sale. There was one around 2015 that came up on eBay France but was around 280€ when the bidding ended- far too rich for me. Luck have it be, one came up for auction here locally in Switzerland a few months ago and I was the only bidder at 60 Swiss Francs.

As the bike sits currently I am waiting on Gil to get back to me regarding decals for the down tube and the little homegrown sticker on the top tube (and other bikes), and the mega 9 shifters. Everything else is finally compiled. All the Titec parts are together. I’ll be looking for your build thread!

Last edited:
Yes pretty much. I might go with green wildgrippers though.

Which sticker do you mean? Is there one down by the bottom bracket my memory is hazy?

This is the original designer of the graphics https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175029726749 he's a nice chap very helpful.

If you aren't already on it there's a homegrown group on facebook.

I have around 10 homegrowns in various states. I'm a bit of an addict. Photos of a couple more. (control tech made.)

DSC_1466.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I recall, like your red one there, the badge that is on the seat tube there, came on the 99' black/bass boat gold frames as well. But finding original pictures from the late 90's is pretty much nil, so no comparison can be made. On your frame above ( of your frame hanging off your garage rafter) you have that little diamond shaped "homegrown" decal on the top tube near the seat tube. Of course you posted a catalog scan of the entire bike, but not all catalog pictures are correct :LOL: . I am missing that diamond one plus the "SCHWINN" lettering for the down tube. A long time ago the lettering was there but has since pealed off in places so I removed all of lettering until new decals could be had.

Do you have a Homegrown thread here? Post it. Or start a "Post your Homegrown"? The two there are looking nice. The gold chain rings and chain are friggin' sweet. I wish I could get my hands on a 1999 Straight 8. Or at least the frame with all the swing arms and linkage in working condition.

Ah no the ones with the checkers didn't get those badges.

Agreed on the catalogue there are bikes that aren't even in there. For instance I've got the same frame in a very dark bass boat blue not the normal lighter one.

I used to own this stupidly sold it when I was broke years ago. I still have a four banger though.

Picture 003.jpg

Latest posts

Back