1997 Rocky Mountain Speed

DJH730

Retro Newbie
Hey All!!

I've been hanging out on the site since the end of 2014, but never actually posted anything - mainly due to lack of funds from studying. I have however, thoroughly enjoyed reading through lots and lots of threads! :D

Last week I was lucky enough to come across an ad on trademe. (New Zealand's version of EBAY). It was for two retro frames starting at $1, no reserve. A 1997 Rocky Mountain Speed and a 1997 Proflex Beast. I fell in love with both frames, more so the Rocky though for three reasons; 1) the rarity of the Speed, 2) I currently ride a Rocky and love it to bits, and 3) I loved the look of it and it's retro coolness. I had to win... and did, with what I think was a bargain as both frames also came with forks as well.

This thread will be for the Rocky.

I can't find too much info about the Speed online. I know that they ran for two years - 96&97 and they were produced in limited numbers? I read somewhere on mtbr that only 309 were built, but have no idea if this is correct or not?

I also possibly have contacts at Rocky so will try get some more info on the frame in the next few days. (fingers crossed).

If anyone has any other info, that would also be super helpful.

THE BIKE

There are three dents in the frame (I think they will be okay structurally) and the paint is a little rough, but with fresh decals and a good old polish, it should come up nice. or I may get it powder coated... as close to original colours as possible of course. Still deciding lol. I would like to build it period correct, tying in a fair amount of catalogue spec, however might get some bombers instead of Judys. I also think it deserves m950 over XT so might go down that road, we'll see...

Since I'm still catching up financially from studying, this one will be a slow burner.

Anyway, here are the pictures.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 820
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 820
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 820
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 820
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 820
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 820
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 820
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 820
Re:

More Pics, I apologise about the quality, they were all taken on my phone.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 816
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 816
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 816
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 815
Re:

Nice score!

Good call on the Bombers, I was going to say it needs better forks.

Have fun building it, gonna be lovely.

al.

ps a belated welcome to place.

Kermitgreenkona88, thanks. I actually have the 1997 catalogue saved to my home screen on my phone :D Got it off the Rocky Mountain website. It's super helpful, having a spec list to go by. (even though I want to change it slightly).

Al, thanks heaps, it's good to be able to finally start a thread haha. Yeah, I grew up with bombers being the fork of choice so definitely would like them on the bike. I have a set of 97' Z3's, but think I would like Z1's for this. (as long as the frame can handle them).

Back