1997 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

This-is-my-Field

Dirt Disciple
Evening All.... Back on here after a short spell a few years back.

I dipped my toe into Retro with a Chameleon in around 2019 that I built up to the spec I wanted (but couldn't afford) back in the late 90s.

This was then sold to fund one of my current modern bikes.

Always had a love affair with RM as my Dad's pal had a dealership in Rochdale in the 90s.

I had a Hammer in around 96 that I snapped (jumping to flat constantly as a teenager) that my Dad's mate then replaced with an Equipé.

Anyhow I always look out for them and when this came up on eBay a few weeks back I couldn't resist.

Hammer race with a stuck seat post and it's original (as far as I can tell) groupset being sold separately.

Won both and got the frame sent straight to John aka The Seatpost Man. He has done his magic and I picked up today.

Plan is to build it up and use it!!!

Rubbish pics at the moment but I'll keep a thread going here with my progress and get some better ones up.

Ta!!! Pete
DSC_1308.JPG
DSC_1306.JPG

Just fitted a new Cane creek headset and a brand new Bottom Bracket to the Hammer.

The existing bb was actually ok bearings wise but the threads looked a bit ropey so figured I best just bang a new one in.

All threads cleaned up first.

I've decided to put most of the factory items away and build it up with more readily available parts as it'll actually get used. It seems a shame to wear out all the Standard parts being as they're all in good nick and they'll be there for a factory rebuild if required.

DSC_1319.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1318.JPG
    DSC_1318.JPG
    403 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Never wanted one that much back in the day, none of my mates had one either, yet I think now they are one of the best looking retro frames. This looks ace, and good choice using seatpost man, removes a lot of stress!

Never wanted one that much back in the day, none of my mates had one either, yet I think now they are one of the best looking retro frames. This looks ace, and good choice using seatpost man, removes a lot of stress!
Yeah I was the only one in the gang with one and think they've held up well!

Planning to t-cut the frame?
I hadn't even considered that... Do they take it well?
The paint isn't the best and the decals are in a right mess so wasn't contemplating a full repaint after it's been used a bit.

Been mega busy and not touched this for weeks!!

Just spent a couple of hours and fitted a few bits.

Starting to look like a bike now!!!

DSC_1408.JPG

New cassette and chain

DSC_1403.JPG

Fitted the original cranks plus some original DMRs I had on the shelf DSC_1404.JPG

XT shifter/levers (ignore the grips!)

DSC_1405.JPG

XT Vbrakes

DSC_1406.JPG

Generic post (new) and a seat I had in stock
DSC_1407.JPG

Ready for cables now so I'll get them ordered to build it in another 6 weeks !!

So the bike is now fully functional and ready for action if we get a dry day 🙃

Need to swap the grips but it'll do while on the turbo trainer!!

New tyres arrived today too.

DSC_1468.JPG
DSC_1469.JPG
DSC_1470.JPG

Hopefully I can get it out (weather dependent) and get some better shots soon... particularly after the new decals arrive :⁠-⁠)

Back