1997 Rocky Mountain Element

yeti_bomb

Senior Retro Guru
As my 91 Blizzard finds a home in Ontario a 97 Element heads my way from said region. The old beauty arrived today. She's tired and needs a new chainstay which luckily is available. Test fitted some stuff and feels pretty nice. This old gal will make a nice town bike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,056
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,056
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,056
Well it is has a missing d hanger. So either I replace the chainstay which I have or thinking of single speeding it with a MRP guide. When all done I will mount a GoPro and duplicate some of my favorite moments in Kranked 1. Thats the silly plan that I have...

Re:

Leaning towards gearing to a 8 speed. Xt sifter, rear derailleur. Xtr cassette. White industries rear hub. 2002 Marz Dirtjumper 100mm. Raceface Diabolus stem, Air Alloy bar, turbine crank. Other bits. Or xt 7 speed with a thumb shifter. Going to hopefully replace chainstay with one from a cracked 98 Spice.

Re:

Good call ... 1x8 is a great setup. I Like the rapid fire setup better than thumb. Found the thumshifter weakened my grip too much ... Especially in the really technical bits. Sorta looks better to in a 1x8.

An older rm arrived today :) thanks!

Re:

Sweet. Glad it arrived. That blizzard took a summer vacation in Southern California...

I actually like thumbs. I think because I spent over ten years singlespeed. Feels similar for reason.

Re:

Seized and stripped bolt. So typical on old elements. Anyone have any good ideas how to get it out?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 879
you could try this... they have reverse grabbing threads

available at any pro hardware store

BUT I would soak that whole area in penetrating lube for at least a day...

lay the frame on it's side then spray it with penetrating lube, then tap the head of the bolt a bunch of times... couple big wacks... this will vibrate the bolt and allow the lube to work it's way into the threads...

If that fails take it in to a pro mechanic / frame builder place

Attachments

• -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 869
  • images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 869
Re:

Still in need to take that bolt out. But a cracked 98 Spice arrived with a great shape rear end to replace that on the Element. Things are looking up for this build.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 834
Back