Help needed - pictures of Rocky Mountain thin air 1997

Aggesaks

Rocky Mountain Fan
Hi guys

I am currently restoring my 1997 Rocky Mountain thin air and everything is working out nicely, except for decals on the frame. They have deteriorated over time, and I took them off years ago, which I regret right now…

I want to have the decal custom made, but to be able to make them as close to the original ones as possible, I need good pictures, and it has been very hard to find them in a good enough resolution, so I was hoping that someone in here can help with pictures of the “Rocky Mountain” decal on the down tube and the “thin air” decal on the top tube.
I have found 1 picture of the one on the downtube, so the "thin air" decal on the top tube is the most important one, but it would be ideal to have them both.

The model in question is metallic blue with embedded maple leaves in cream/off white - like the one underneath (not mine).
rm-retro.jpg

Crossing my fingers! 🥳

Thanks.
The first 2 ones are an exact match, but the last one is not the same frame.
Unfortunately I then still lack the "thin air" on the top tube, and I have used all my google skills - but no success with a good enough picture so far...

Hi Aggsaks, still looking for pics of the decals? I know someone owning the bike and could make some pics. Let me know :)
Hi Dan

What a Christmas gift that could be! 🥳
If you would could help me out it would be very highly appreciated.
If it is not too much to ask, could you measure the text height of the decals and the total length? Perhaps with a ruler or tape measure besides the 2 decals. (Better to have more than enough info on the size than too little).

Internet does its job once again :)

PS. Let me know if you need a place to put the files (if they are too large to post here).

Hi Aggesaks,

not forgotten, but had to do some maths. Let's give it a first try - see attached.
Not too easy, as the decals are really nice - but kind of difficult to make pics.

Here you are :)

This is the measures I did:
thin air decal = 115 mm long / 30 mm high / inverse / i-dot is a parallelolagram / shaded
Rocky decal = 140 mm long / 27 mm high / inverse / shaded / letters at bottom a bit special (as if you use a brush and slide it right)
Mountain decal = 225 mm long / 27 mm high / inverse / shaded / letters at bottom a bit special (as if you use a brush and slide it right)

Note, that the color is not white, but kind off-white. it has the same color like the original fork
In the 1997 catalogue it was called Harley Cream.

My bike attached - it comes like the original but I moved the bar and stem to RaceFace, as I needed the original parts for another Rocky Mountain Retro bike.

Let me know, if I can further assist.

One more thought - some years ago there was someone in Hungary offering Rocky Mountain Decals for retro bikes in one of the major second hand selling platforms. I did not use the service, as mine came with decals, but maybe this person si still offering services and could be a possibility

Merry christmas 🎄and don't be shy asking for more 🚵‍♂️

Dan

Attachments

• air.jpeg
    air.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 15
  • MOUNTAIN.jpeg
    MOUNTAIN.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 14
  • ROCKY.jpeg
    ROCKY.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 13
  • thin.jpeg
    thin.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 11
  • full bike.JPEG
    full bike.JPEG
    468.2 KB · Views: 11
  • signature series.JPEG
    signature series.JPEG
    361.2 KB · Views: 14
Hi Dan

Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I have been looking for 🥳🥳🥳
I have been in contact with a guy in Slovakia (https://custombikesbuilding.com/en/dizajn-a-tuning-2/decals-and-concepts), and it seemed as if he was able to help me if he got quality pictures. I will ping him and see if these are good enough.
If you stumble upon the Hungarian guys name/contact info in the meantime, please let me know.

Thanks again :)
Not sure if this is the guy or not, but he is in Hungary;

I've ordered two sets from him and have been very impressed with the quality.

I only see the one set for a Blizzard in his listings.

Not sure if this is the guy or not, but he is in Hungary;

I've ordered two sets from him and have been very impressed with the quality.

I only see the one set for a Blizzard in his listings.
Thanks for the link.
I went with the guy from Slovakia, since I already started discussing with him.
The decals will be sent this week, I think, and on the screen it looks awesome, so crossing my fingers it will look equally good IRL.
Will hopefully be able to upload pictures soon :)

Back