1997 Rocky Mountain Element

Re: Re:

yeti_bomb":2v25ffcs said:
Seized and stripped bolt. So typical on old elements. Anyone have any good ideas how to get it out?

Looks like the head of the bolt is pretty big, you could try the "traditional" approach, use the corner of a cold chisel and proceed in a circle around the head of the bolt, digging in to the face and driving in the direction of unscrewing. A couple of whacks in the centre with a drift to attempt to break up any corrosion you can first would be a good idea. You can also "unround" and somewhat reform a socket head with 6 whacks of a center punch.

Next step (if above fails), MIG an allen wrench to the bolt, or send it out for EDM removal http://www.brokentap.com/.

In future, a manual impact driver (the kind you whack with a hammer) is your friend.

Cheers, Ted

Attachments

• impact.jpg
    impact.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 604
Re:

Thanks for all the help guys.

I was also thinking of cutting the old swing arm out on the backside then I think I could whack out the other side. It's a dead swing arm. Just don't want to damage the frame. I think I actually did that for the exact same situation with a 2001 element race.

Re:

I was able to cut it out and tap it out. Put the newer rear on. Looks good to go. Think I will call this bike lucky

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 598
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 598
Re:

Need to thank my buddy up north for the Spice hook up and a Thrust link rear for my 2000 RM6. You know who you are!

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 597
Back