1996 Specialized Stumpjumper Team Special Edition

Re:

I have one of these to. It was previously pro owned. My understanding is that the bikes were available to sponsored racers. My bike has had many components replaced, but it has a full s-works front wheel from the specialized wheelsmith. It also has carbon fsx rockshoxs.

Did you get it new when it came out or was it post race season? From what I was told you could not "buy" one.

I bought it brand new and assembled it out of the box myself. I was working at a bike shop when I was 16 and was able to order one as a sponsored shop rider I guess. I'm not entirely sure exactly how it went down as it was quite a while ago. You are correct as in you could not buy it at a bike shop as a customer. Do you have any pictures of yours. I would love to see it. Anyone else have this frame as well?

I'll clean it up a bit and take a pic. I disassembled most of it to sell the leftover bits I didn't want. Its further down the project list for me.

You scooped me on this ... I thought mine would be the first to show up on here :)

Re:

Here's my frame.

She's seen some action but ... So far ... Looks intact.

Was there a spec on this bike when you got it or did you assemble your own components? I think the only spec parts one bike were the fork, stem (ti), and front wheel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 404
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 404
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 404
Re:

1996 was the year Ned Overend officially retired from mtb racing. Likely explains Ned's name one it. The white and multicolor livery may have something to so with the 1996 Atlanta Olympic games. The first year mountain biking was in the Olympics. A similar livery is on the 96 ground control.

I emailed the previous owner. He got it from a U23 rider's dad at the Canadian Nationals in 96ish. The rider had switched to a factory kona team ride. He told me the riders name but it doesn't add up for me. The previous owner is a little on in years ... Nice guy ... Talk your ear off, but I'm not sure his memory is spot on.

Back