1996 Specialized Stumpjumper Team Special Edition

i say keep the paint. nothing like original paint with a little 90's rustic show. maybe just make sure it is cleaned up. although it would probably look nice with repro decals. i know someones makes these replicas. are you going to use your old spins? hope so

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad that everyone is in support of leaving the frame with the original paint job. I do remember quite a few of those scrapes and scratches :)

The original Spins that were on it were stolen when my brother had the bike in France, but I've been able to find another pair and they should be arriving shortly.

ericgoodwin":3of8m1zo said:
Thanks for the responses. I'm glad that everyone is in support of leaving the frame with the original paint job. I do remember quite a few of those scrapes and scratches :)

The original Spins that were on it were stolen when my brother had the bike in France, but I've been able to find another pair and they should be arriving shortly.

Are the Spins coming from France? ;)

All kidding aside, will u be using this bike for off-road biking with those Spins? I know Spins, although cool, have some definite performance and maintenance issues. The only ones available nowadays are used ones so I hope the ones you get are not damaged and I hope they last a long time.

Ha. That would have been a bit ironic. The wheels look to be in decent shape from all the photos I've seen.
I'll probably take the bike off road a bit, but not too much. I have a few newer bikes to choose from when I want to throw the bike around (2014 Scott Scale 700 RC, 2013 Scott Genius 710 and a nice steel Surly 1x1). This guy will only hit the trails for special events and when I'm feeling a bit nostalgic. The trails around Squamish are known for beating up bikes :)

I'm really looking forward to this project a and not repainting the frame is the way to go as like you say it has been through a lot so the last thing you'd want to do is to lose the reminder of all those memories ..

Re:

WOW!
Could you tell me more about this "edition" I have never heard of it before!?
Race only - does this mean for team riders? Would have thought it would have been called an S-Works?
Please shed some light :D

I'm actually not too sure about the details of this special edition frame. If anyone else knows, I would love to get some more information as well. As far as I know the frame was only available to employees of the bike shops that sold Specialized. It looks like an S-Works, but the decal does say Team on it and to be honest, I'm not really sure what the difference in the frame would have been. Blizz had the same bike back in the day and had some good insights into some of the original parts that I forgot about. I might end up email Specialized and seeing if I can get a response back with some more details about it.

Back