1996 Specialized Stumpjumper Team Special Edition

ericgoodwin

Dirt Disciple
specialized.jpg

The picture above was taken back in the day. I'm just starting to rebuild it to it's former glory and will post some pictures along the way.

I bought this bike when I was 16 and worked at a local sporting goods store. The frame was only available for bike shop employees and even had a decal saying it's not for resale. My parents co-signed a $2000 loan for me so that I could purchase it. Every penny of my paycheck would go back into building it up and paying off the loan. I raced it for a couple years before I got a knee injury. After that I didn't ride a whole lot. In 2002 I got my first real job and bought a new Spot Brand bike. I gave my old Specialized to my brother. He moved to France and then to Austria. In 2012 he finally bought a new bike and retired this one to his storage room. When he was back a few week ago in Canada, I got him to bring it back. It's pretty beat up, and missing some of the original parts, but it will be fun to bring it back to life again.

raceonly.jpg

Very cool! I raced the same bike in 96. It had some nice factory specs like a ti cassette w/ red spacers, dark purple/blue/red fade anodized mavic rims, red ano specialized parts, and a black Judy XC. One of my favorites from back in the day!

Forgot about some of those parts Blizz. Thanks for the reminder :) Unfortunately most of those parts are gone. The cassette wore out long ago, the wheels were replaced with Spins, one red ano tire skewer broke and the other got stolen, and the Black Judy XC was swapped out for a Z2 when they hit the market. It was also spec'd with a Specialized thermoplastic bar, which I ended up breaking. It looks like they're going for £180 on here now (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/fcorum/viewt ... p?t=131552). I should have taken them off to begin with and saved them for a few years.

The plan is to build it up pretty close to what it looked like in the picture above. It might be nice to have the Black Judy's on it though. I have most of the parts now, but if anyone has any Michelin Wildgrippers for sale we should talk.

Re: Wildgrippers

Hi....yep, front and rear pair of Wildgrippers looking at me right now...! 26 x 1.95....still got the moulding 'hairs' on the edges!!

In the UK tho......but for postage u could have them....not been used for some time. Great condition...no cuts or splits.
Let me know....

ultra.coachATlive.co.uk.........can email photos if u want....

Here are a few photos of the frame how it is now. I can't decide whether or not to have the frame repainted. The decals are one of the things that make this bike unique and I feel bad to strip them off. It is also going to be really expensive to get new ones custom created. I'm considering doing up the rest of the bike, but leaving the frame as is. There is a lot of history in it.

frame.jpg

team_logo.jpg

seatpost.jpg

Also found my old pair of Roach shorts.

roach.jpg

Back