1996 Judy XC rebuild - FINISHED (page 7) 30/05/12

Re:

The reason you tap them is to loosen the grip the damper or dummy leg end has in the lower leg. Once that has moved in a bit (full length of the bolt wound out bar a thread in) there is nothing to hold it. If it's corrosion of stanchion to bushing you have nothing to loose. Get a big rod bolt and keep hitting.

By tap, it means whack hard and firm ;-). Build it the hardness up on the damper side until it budges.

So if I get something I can fit through the hole on the bottom that's longer I should be able to hit that to try and push it a bit more?

takkischitt":1993hplo said:
So if I get something I can fit through the hole on the bottom that's longer I should be able to hit that to try and push it a bit more?

You may damage the threads if you do that.
maybe try a longer bolt with the same thread.

unit3":1101da6w said:
takkischitt":1101da6w said:

You may damage the threads if you do that.
maybe try a longer bolt with the same thread.

Nice one. I'll look in to getting a longer bolt.

Re:

The leg should fall off now, if not it's time to say goodbye to the leg as the bushing will be shafted and the stanchion (gold bit) will be attached/bonded to it.
But soaking WD40 or similar in there somehow may loosen it enough.

Going to see about getting an even longer bolt tomorrow. Sprayed in loads of WD40 too. Hopefully it'll work or else those springs I've ordered from America will have been a waste of money! :(

takkischitt":3die67f2 said:
Going to see about getting an even longer bolt tomorrow. Sprayed in loads of WD40 too. Hopefully it'll work or else those springs I've ordered from America will have been a waste of money! :(

I suspect the shaft of the cartridge (the bit you are screwing in to) has retracted.

Does the stanchion go up and down inside the outer leg or is it solid?

Back