Judy XC damper rebuild/modify?

klunkrider

Retro Guru
I bought a really lovely Judy XC fork off here, think it's a '95 or '96 (champagne-y gold colour, separate bridge w canti hanger, no metal skewer though the elastomers, non adjustable damper).

Anyway my problem is that the damper has dumped its oil out. I always knew this would maybe be an issue and I'm not 100% sure whether they were like this when I got them or not, I suspect that my weight and use of them may have been what's caused the damper to blow out and that means I also suspect that simply refilling the original plastic damper would likely not last long even if I replace the seal.

It seems unlikely I'll find an aftermarket damper for sale these days so I'm wondering...

Do I bother trying a rebuild? Anyone done it? Did it last long?
Do I try and modify the plastic damper to improve the seal? Fill it up and 'weld' it shut?
Is there another damper cartridge that I can use? I have access to a lathe so maybe I can make something from/for another fork work?
Is my only option for a properly damped fork to look elsewhere? If so where would you look? Marzocchi seem to be pretty reliable but my bike has cantis so that'd mean using a Bomber with a separate arch but even then the canti hangers are pretty rare. Pace? Spares availability seems pretty good, anyone know how reliable the damping is?

I think there's a thread on here from srp where you could find a replacement damper among other things for Judy forks

I think there's a thread on here from srp where you could find a replacement damper among other things for Judy forks
They do a service kit but not full damper cartridges. I don't think.

There's a couple ebay listings with seals, one says they are upgraded SKS seals but I'm not sure if they are for the stock plastic cartridge or aftermarket alloy ones as there's a photo of an alloy cartridge in that listing.

The plastic ones were pretty rubbish, metal ones do turn up for sale so I'd keep and eye out and hope.

Do you know, is it the same seal in the metal one just retained by a circlip?

I'm actually wondering if I could fabricobble something myself...

AlI really need to make is a tube with one 'closed' end and a recess for a circlip at the other and I could use the rod etc out of the stock one...

Chances the plastic one resembles a 'stock' tubing size...?

Plastic version, a Gen1 cartridge, is not serviceable. You can buy a replacement kit from SRP (I recommend it), but it will NOT solve your problem, because of plastic body :( It will leak again.
I recommend to be patience and look for a Gen 2 cartridge with the aluminium body. In that case, even leaking, you can service it with the SRP kit.
Actually I got a message from a friend in the US who has spare cartridge from Risse Racing (an after-market product). I can ask him whether he still sells it. If OK for you, that may help.....

I think the risse one is called the 'gem'.

The only other after market option I know of is an air upgrade kit made by ecko sport/englind. I had a couple of these but they are even rarer than the risse or rock shox ones:

I think white bros also did one:

I don't know at what point it becomes more sensible to just go for a different fork.

I think my Judy only has either 50 or 63mm or travel so even if I wanted to drop that amount of money on it, it's no use!
I'm going to disassemble it again and measure the plastic cartridge, if I'd have to be turning the bore (and/or od) to size then it's probably a no go but if I can buy some stainless tube that will replicate the dimensions and all I need to do is braze on an endcap, turn a groove for a circlip and maybe turn some delrin guide bushings then I reckon I'll try make my own.

You'll want seals at the bottom between the shaft and hole and an equivalent at the top.

Travel is dictated by the damper shaft so you don't have to limit yourself to 50 or 63mm, you'd just need a dummy shaft of the same size and probably fettle the elastomer stack or even replace with springs.

I've rebuilt a lot of Judy's in my time, there sadly is not often any saving a plastic cartridge.

Back