1995 Sunn Vertik 2 - 'Tis a new bike on page 4

K_50

Old School Hero
I've had this bike since '99 when i bought it from my sister who got it new in '95. It's had a hard life as I rode it daily all year round until a few years ago, when it started to show severe signs of age (some surface rust, worn out crank bearings/groupset etc.).
So a couple of months ago I decided to pull it out of the garage, and bring it back to it's former glory. I also did a single speed conversion to make maintenance easier, and because in Copenhagen you don't really need more than one gear.

Before:

During:

After:

Out for a spin by the harbour:

Re: 1995 Sunn Vertik 2

Hi and welcome!

Nice transition and great to see that it is ready to go again for a couple of years; enjoy!

Thanks!
I think it turned out quite nicely. And with the new, lighter tyres, and 42-12 gearing it's seriously fast :).
Right now it's at the mechanic's for some final setup tweaks, new crank bearings, and a general tune-up. I can't wait to have it back!

Re:

42-12... someone's fit, although there aren't many hills around there!

Welcome to the old place.

al.

Thanks for the welcome

Actually, I'm horribly unfit at the moment. But I'm hoping that will change when I get my bike back, so I can stop using public transport. I have just always preferred a high gear ratio, probably due to all the internal 3-speed beaters I've had, which would inevitably get stuck in third. It does take some effort to get it going, but the pay-off is that I can cruise it comfortably at 30kph.
I am also in the process of restoring a '96 Sunn bmx cruiser, which I'm planning to take to the local dirt jump track. That should be fun (at least until I fall over, and break something).

Re:

Welcome to the forum ;)

Great transformation! It polished up nicely, what did you use?

Never seen a purple chain :shock:

Mike

I just gave the frame a thorough bath with warm water/washing up liquid, and a scrubbing sponge (rough side for the rusty parts, soft side for everything else), hit it with a coat of automotive wax, and polished with an old t-shirt. Nothing fancy, really, but it works well if you take the time to do the job properly. And the wax should protect the frame somewhat from further corrosion.
I hadn't seen a purple chain before either, but it fits the colour scheme so well that I had to have it when I saw it - the handlebars, and seat post clamp used to be purple as well, but they have faded almost completely over the years.

Re:

That's a fast looking bike.
Personally I prefer it on the skinny slicks, the new tyres make it look a little heavy.
Skinny slicks, skinny frame, fast as f*"k!

Back