1994 Rocky Mountain Altitude

I think I have a m900 28h hub. I could be presuaded to swap for a 32h :)

Can't help you on the rim though.

RockiMtn":1sq4ybk2 said:
simplest would be finding an 93 altitude with the original 28/32h wheelset…

like i did. :D
I tracked the original wheels down from when my frame was originaly split :)

('93 and yes the 1.8/1.6 butted spokes. Seems just the Ti-Bolt used these wheels in '94)

Re: Re:

captaincosmic":2x73kttf said:
That makes life a lot simpler then.

I had to first find a 28 /32h XTR M900 hubset then Mavic 231 rims to match...the 28h rim was a tricky one. Then the spokes were double butted and a finer gauge than normal !

Are you going to make your own wheels ? It's quite easy once you get the hang of it ,you just need some old forks to use as a truing stand and two stacks of books to check the dishing.
I quite like building wheels, I used to do it often when I worked at shops, now just do a couple a year. I'm not too fussy on spoke count on my retro bikes, but more so on my newer race bikes for weight savings. :D
For this wheelset, I'll likely use 2.0/1.8 spokes. I found one good donor wheel with a 231, and I think I have another in a box somewhere in storage :roll:

Awesome awesome bike!! I can't wait to see the finished build. If it helps your cause, I'm storing a 94 Altitude with low miles, all original, for a friend and he probably wont mind if you need pics of anything? The raceface handle bars might be tough to find for your project? And also, I'm looking for any 20.5" Altitude and have a 94 Altitude 18" to trade...or other things to trade I'm sure. But the 93 altitude is dear to me and would love a 20.5"

24226547733_7f884bf9fc_b.jpg

BC":27ijhgfq said:
Awesome awesome bike!! I can't wait to see the finished build. If it helps your cause, I'm storing a 94 Altitude with low miles, all original, for a friend and he probably wont mind if you need pics of anything? The raceface handle bars might be tough to find for your project? And also, I'm looking for any 20.5" Altitude and have a 94 Altitude 18" to trade...or other things to trade I'm sure. But the 93 altitude is dear to me and would love a 20.5"
Thanks!
Nice pair of Altitudes! The small frame looks in great shape!
I also have some old race pictures for reference too. I noticed the original mag 21's were grey, but I think the nickelite colour looks a bit nicer with this frame...still debating to put a black fork brace on.
I did pick up the original Raceface bars, but I thought the pewter colour didn't look quite right for this bike, so I've set it aside for another project.
I'll keep you in mind when I find a 20.5"! The only Rocky in that size I have is a 92 Experience, let me know if you have a smaller frame you'd like to swap.

Attachments

• RaceFaceMultiPosition.jpg
    RaceFaceMultiPosition.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 513
Blizz":2c9nvvt9 said:
I'll keep you in mind when I find a 20.5"! The only Rocky in that size I have is a 92 Experience, let me know if you have a smaller frame you'd like to swap.

Cheers Blizz, I'd appreciate that. I have a few smaller bikes and will start to churn things over inside and get back to you :)

BC":1dawufis said:
Blizz":1dawufis said:

Cheers Blizz, I'd appreciate that. I have a few smaller bikes and will start to churn things over inside and get back to you :)

They are 19.5" or 21" around that size. 21" being the largest frame size for the 1993 Altitudes

Well, this one took longer than I planned, but I finally finished it and got it out for it's 1st ride. So far, I'm really happy how it turned out! :D
I ended up going with some Mavic 230 TiB rims since I found them to match better than the silver 231 rims. But I still kept with the XTR m900 theme and all the RF and Syncros parts to keep it close to original spec.

Attachments

• 1994Altitude3.jpg
    1994Altitude3.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 325
  • 1994Altitude2.jpg
    1994Altitude2.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 325
  • 1994Altitude1.jpg
    1994Altitude1.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 325
  • 1994Altitude.jpg
    1994Altitude.jpg