1994 P7 build thread

Re:

A colleague has given me some b & q paint stripper to try. He rates it highly but I'm not convinced. Keen to avoid abrasive clear coat removal I'll give it a go. Will you be clwR coating your frame for protection ?

Re: Re:

enc":3s8qwhf8 said:
I have a contact for graphics if needed.

If that's Gil, I've already got a set of graphics of him when I promised my self I'd do this about three years ago.

The only thing I'd say if you haven't already ordered them is that the supplied main Orange logo on the downtube is slightly smaller than the one that was on my bike. Only by about 5-10mm though.

I'd left my decals in the box of bits for about 3 years though so only just found out.

enc":zxtmnszl said:
A colleague has given me some b & q paint stripper to try. He rates it highly but I'm not convinced. Keen to avoid abrasive clear coat removal I'll give it a go. Will you be clwR coating your frame for protection ?

As I said, I've not decided whether to clear coat or get it re-nickel plated.

I found a place in Hounslow (don't know where you're based) that reckoned on sub £80 to dip it and then replate it. Which would make all the work I'm doing now kind of pointless tbh.

I need to find someone in my area that can lacquer it and get a price before I decide.

Partly because I need to know whether to reapply the decals or not.

Looking at the progress so far, I definitely need to go for a finer grade of paper for the final finish as it looks great in daylight, but under a spotlight you can still see the marks from the 600 grit.

I'm pleased that there's no real rust on mine though. It's coming up really well.

Kell":1b3epj20 said:
enc":1b3epj20 said:
I have a contact for graphics if needed.

If that's Gil, I've already got a set of graphics of him when I promised my self I'd do this about three years ago.

The only thing I'd say if you haven't already ordered them is that the supplied main Orange logo on the downtube is slightly smaller than the one that was on my bike. Only by about 5-10mm though.

I'd left my decals in the box of bits for about 3 years though so only just found out.

Ordered mine through a company called dn five

Orange logos in luminous orange (as originals)
And lettering in satin black.

Apparently, measurements are taken from originals so sizing should be to OEM spec.

Re:

£80 ish for plating sounds (very) cheap to me. If you can get a good job done for that go for it ... Bargain.

I reckon about half that to get it clear coated. A Local garage spraying 2k might throw it in whist doing a car ?!!

I think you should be going to AT LEAST 1000 grit (1500-2000 ideally)before polishing.

Frame stripped now:

12080313_10153018200631021_1331561578066170791_o.jpg

Still have the forks to do.

Wow, a two year labour of love!

How did it go with the polishing in the end? I did Mrs R's P7 with paint stripper to get rid of the lacquer, the. 600-1200 grit wet'n'dry, followed by the tin foil, and the Autosol. Came up pretty good aside from some baked in rust in places, and a few areas where the nickel seemed to be a bit 'thin'.

As for lacquer -- I'm planning on using some rattle can car lacquer once I've got some decals sorted from Gil.

Oh, and I ended up buying another P7 for me, ready to go SS. But that's another thread...!

The frame itself is in really good nick.

Virtually no rust spots.

There are dents, however in the seat stay and chain stay on one side.

Back