1994 KHS Team Montana

Canuckbiker

BoTM Winner
Brodie Fan
Hi All, I love stumbling across a deal before any other Vancouver area collectors do 😁. Yesterday I picked up this very sweet KHS off CL which had been up for about one day, what really drew me in was the M900 cantilever caliper c/w cartridge pads in the ad's blurry pictures. I recently finished overpaying for a set which was missing the rear springs, had no Shimano straddle cable or brake pads. I got my recent purchase going with some spare springs (modified slightly) which work perfectly and will find their way to another bike or for sale. I love the XTR blue cartridge pad look, I'm hoping to use the very old rubber block if possible but will gladly source NOS refills is needed. Does anyone know if Kool Stop is making repros? Also, if I find NOS refills, do 30 year old NOS rubber blocks not age and get hard also?

Anyway, The frame is very nice. Titanium paint (not quite as nice as the Blue/Pink but nice). I don't need another bike so it may be a flip. It's mostly M737 with the RD missing. I'm definitely making use of the XT HP-M740 1" headset, haven't stripped it off yet. The Judy's are toast so will have to figure out whether to refurbish or not. Are 1" steerer Judy's hard to come by?
The wheels are rubbish unfortunately, Bonty handlebar (cut to 54cm unfortunately) and control tech stem. Not back for $120. Most likely will keep the parts I want and move this beauty on. After a full cleanup and tune of course!
20220331_002645717_iOS.jpg
20220331_002702103_iOS.jpg
20220331_002706021_iOS.jpg
20220331_002653353_iOS.jpg

I have not found Kool Stops for those cartridges. Let me know what you find because I'm looking for some too. I have some NOS pads for ceramic rims but my rims aren't ceramic. They are there as place holders and the bike is mounted on my wall.
The fork is desirable as 1 inch Judy's are hard to come by. If you are flipping, I would recommend finding a rigid fork and painting to to match either the frame or the purple decals. And as you said, keep the parts you want and replace them with suitable period parts.

Granted these are in the UK, but you never know - may be worth contacting the seller;

At least the XTR canti's on the KHS have the correct straddle wires for the later model BR-M900 items.

The KHS frame is lovely no matter what parts are attached to it.

I have not found Kool Stops for those cartridges. Let me know what you find because I'm looking for some too. I have some NOS pads for ceramic rims but my rims aren't ceramic. They are there as place holders and the bike is mounted on my wall.
The fork is desirable as 1 inch Judy's are hard to come by. If you are flipping, I would recommend finding a rigid fork and painting to to match either the frame or the purple decals. And as you said, keep the parts you want and replace them with suitable period parts.
I did wonder if using the "ceramic" option would be wrong to use on non-ceramic rims. Too bad Kool Stop isn't making repo's as they are with the LX version. Modern rubber is most likely better than NOS. I have seen a few non-ceramic NOS offerings I may jump at on eBay. I'll first try the old ones after some cleanup and a bit of sandpaper to rough them up, lot's of life left in them. I'll advise if I come across other options, thanks for the comments/tips

Granted these are in the UK, but you never know - may be worth contacting the seller;

At least the XTR canti's on the KHS have the correct straddle wires for the later model BR-M900 items.

The KHS frame is lovely no matter what parts are attached to it.
Yes the frame is lovely, some of the details and tubing shapes are quite nice, still have not decided whether to sell or not (maybe it can be hidden from the wife ;)), either way I'm thinking it's best with a rigid fork. I'll see about listing the 1" Judy as is. Some may just want the steerer/crown for in-tact lowers.
Yes, I did a bit more digging on the BR-M900s to learn these cartridge pads versions came on the 1994 versions (just ahead of Vs I guess). I do prefer them with that great XTR blue paint to the original pads. Was also happy to get the later correct straddle cable even if the earlier original ones are the nicer option in this case IMO

I could not find modern replacements so took the plunge and ordered non-ceramic refills (NOS) for about $30USD. I fitted them last weekend and I'm very pleased with the performance. They appear to have been sealed in plastic so possibly keeping them from drying out? Bonus: they included new black retaining screws and lock washers for that pristine XTR look ;). Modern rubber would probably grip better but definitely acceptable.

I also ordered up NOS 1st gen brake pads which cost double for my other M900 set and they came in a box not sealed up. Try them last night and they also seem to stop just fine
20220412_011821474_iOS.jpg

20220412_012904745_iOS.jpg

Back