1993 KHS Montana Team & Montana Comp

gtturbo

Senior Retro Guru
Truth be told I wasn't really looking for another bike but these things have a habit of popping up and I'm too weak to refuse. I could see from the ad most of the XTR was missing and it wasn't super cheap but I thought I would take a gamble and go have a look as it wasnt too far away. On the drive over I had pretty much resigned to the fact if the wheels had been changed I was going to walk as I didn't want the cost and hassle of trying to source the correct ones. It was a nice older chap who was selling it and he had owned it for a few years but recently got something new from Halfords so this was just sat gathering dust. As luck would have it the wheels were correct, minus the QR's, and he had some wiggle room on the price so I think we were both happy with the deal in the end.

So here is how I got it. First iteration is just to put the majority of the XTR back on and use it for a bit. Then at some stage I will give it a respray and make it look pretty. I was actually quite fortunate that I picked up that cheap Nishiki in London a few months back and that had the majority of the XTR bits that were missing from this. The only thing I have had to buy so far is a front mech. I did have one but didn't fancy using using a shim as the one I have is a 34.9.

20220730_121817.jpg

Although the original saddle is still present I'm going to swap that out as those Bontragers make my arse hurt just looking at them. It's actually pretty much all done for V1 so will get some after pics up shortly.

So first little spin and I've got to say that rides really nice. Had I bought one back in the day it would have been a 19" but actually this 21" is really comfy coupled with a 90mm Bonty stem. It was the first stem I grabbed out the spares box and I was thinking it would be too short but it can definately stay for now. So for the time being that's it aside from using it. I will fit the XTR front mech when it turns up but thats about all. If I wasnt such a bike snob the Tourney one thats currently fitted would stay as it worked fine to be fair. I actually quite like bikes like this. Not super posh, a bit tatty, but you can just ride the thing with no worries.

20220807_192916.jpg

Attachments

• 20220807_191053.jpg
    20220807_191053.jpg
    790.3 KB · Views: 27
So first little spin and I've got to say that rides really nice. Had I bought one back in the day it would have been a 19" but actually this 21" is really comfy coupled with a 90mm Bonty stem. It was the first stem I grabbed out the spares box and I was thinking it would be too short but it can definately stay for now. So for the time being that's it aside from using it. I will fit the XTR front mech when it turns up but thats about all. If I wasnt such a bike snob the Tourney one thats currently fitted would stay as it worked fine to be fair. I actually quite like bikes like this. Not super posh, a bit tatty, but you can just ride the thing with no worries.

View attachment 650314
Love that paint scheme, doesn't matter if it's tatty - it looks great. Important thing is that it's getting ridden. Good to see it revived with some XTR.

Small update. I picked up a Montana Comp this week in the matching team colours. I will add it to this thread as it only really needs a saddle,tyres and a good clean.

The wife has already asked what bike is that when I had left the comp in the conservatory. The Team had been there previously for a few days. Easily brushed off with 'the same one that was there last week' so maybe something to be said for matching paint jobs 😀

20221023_092009.jpg

Small update. I picked up a Montana Comp this week in the matching team colours. I will add it to this thread as it only really needs a saddle,tyres and a good clean.
Mine needs a good clean and to be extracted out of the garage junk, Yours are very nice. I like the crank on that comp

Back