1994 Fat Chance Buckshaver

Re:

Glad I sold it to you Rich and that you’ve got it built and dirty so quickly.

I’ve found running modern tubeless tyres, with a Stans Rimstrip, makes all the difference to how well these old bikes ride. And no punctures either.

I got a few pairs of Geax (Victoria) from Planet X a while ago and they ride really nicely.

Re:

Thanks man... I love it!
I have a pair of 26inch maxxis tomahawk I got cheap through work, tubeless ready.
Just out of interest, which rim strips do you use?
I haven't set up rims this narrow since a pair of old crossmax's about 15 years ago!

EDIT: sorry I just re read your post and got my answer! Wakey wakey Rich...

Another 28 Miles 'lock down ride' this weekend... and a few mishaps...

I've got a blown oil seal in the forks, and they seemed to be getting more rattly as i went. I know when Z2's are sat part way into their travel the negative travel spring (or rebound spring) is free to float up and down along the damper shafts (and whatever they call it on t'other side), which causes rattling if the oil is low or too thin. I reckon over the 100 miles or so I've done since i rebuilt them quite a bit of oil has been lost out of the blown seal, so its in pieces again! I've run out of OEM seals so its time for an order from Enduro seals.. never used them so should be an eye opener.

Also got some of the dreaded chain suck... has anyone got an anti chainsuck plate they'll sell??

BU0yLf4.jpg

C6oVb8y.jpg

gtRjWAx.jpg

Spare forks fitted!

l7GIZbz.jpg

Re:

Oh yeah, and current specs!

Frame: 1994 Fat chance Buckshaver

Fork: 1998 Marzocchi Z2 Alloy, W/1996 bolt in crown, 1" Threadless steerer

Headset: Cane Creek S2
Stem: Raceface 110mm (holding out for a steel Salsa)
Handlebar: Azonic World Force riser
Grips: Surly OEM

Brakes: M739 XT
Brake Pads: M739 carriers W/Aztec inserts
Brake Cables: Clarks Stainless
Brake Levers: M739 XT

Shifters: M739 XT
Front Derailleur: M737 XT
Rear Derailleur: M737 XT
Derailleur Cables: Clarks Stainless
Cassette: Modern Alivio 8 Speed 11-30
Chain:Sram
Cranks:M737 XT
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: M737 22/32/42
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: UN55 110mm
Pedals: Shimano XT trail

Hub Skewers: M737 XT
Rims: Mavic XC717, Black, 32 Hole
Hubs: Hope Ti Glide, Blue, 32 Hole
Nipples: DT Brass
Spokes: DT Competition DB
Tyres: Maxxis Tomahawk TR 26 x 2.35
Tubes: Nutrak

Saddle: Selle royal (looking for a flite in blue)
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 29.4, 400mm
Seatpost Binder: Out of the spares box at work!

Weight: 26lb

Re:

Just seen this thread, so glad to see it out and about! Great job with it. I got it painted up in that Cobalt Blue by Argos, and had it for some time, ride it locally quite a lot. Just recently moved it on to Matt who in turn moved it on to you, so it’s good to see it again. Have a look at the build I did for it if it’s of interest.

I found it so nice to ride, classic steel feel, a little bit flexy in the right places and stiff in others...and I love the mono-stay frame.

So pleased you got it built up and good job on touching up the paint.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=242839

Re:

Also those decals are original, so that made it a little bit more special than using repro graphics.

Re:

Nice to see a proper ride review. If you find this monostay rear a little too stiff you should try a Wicked sometime. They are a more forgiving ride and softer than a Yo for sure but still with that lively steel feel.

Re: Re:

Tom79":nhtbty1a said:
I found it so nice to ride, classic steel feel, a little bit flexy in the right places and stiff in others...and I love the mono-stay frame.

Yeah its definitely a keeper! Currently i'm trying to source a nice rigid fork for it so i can swap between rigid and suspension for different circumstances. I thought about a respray for a split second... but the touching up went quite well and i'm pleased to save those decals!

I already read your thread, thanks!!

M-Power":nhtbty1a said:
Nice to see a proper ride review. If you find this monostay rear a little too stiff you should try a Wicked sometime. They are a more forgiving ride and softer than a Yo for sure but still with that lively steel feel.

Would love to try a wicked- its on my list of regular searches :D

The new modern rubber has made a difference too- much smoother ride. Managed to bag a strava KOM on it yesterday to my surprise!!

Re: Re:

jinjrich":qvjoe08x said:
Tom79":qvjoe08x said:

Yeah its definitely a keeper! Currently i'm trying to source a nice rigid fork for it so i can swap between rigid and suspension for different circumstances. I thought about a respray for a split second... but the touching up went quite well and i'm pleased to save those decals!

I already read your thread, thanks!!

M-Power":qvjoe08x said:

Would love to try a wicked- its on my list of regular searches :D

The new modern rubber has made a difference too- much smoother ride. Managed to bag a strava KOM on it yesterday to my surprise!!

There was a nice 18” purple Wicked sold on here a year or so ago for ~ £250 iirc. Might be worth tracking it down to see if it can be prized away. I have been riding my Wicked Lite most days and its a really comfy yet agile ride. :D

Back