1993 Manitou FS

It is wonderful! Very very tastefully assembled. You made this "complicated" looking bike look really "clean".
(hope you know what I mean, my english vocabulary is 5 pages long…)

Re:

I've ben riding mine for years without any cracked headtube issues, however, I use a headset reducer. Maybe this helps.

Perfect build by the way :D

Re: Re:

nutallabrot":2nbr0222 said:
I've been riding mine for years without any cracked headtube issues, however, I use a headset reducer. Maybe this helps.

Perfect build by the way :D

Heres the result of my Bad day at the Office & one less crack free virgin FS

Guess you pays your money and take your chances.... "to ride or not to ride".

its now just like 99% of the others :cry:

bizarrely (perhaps not) now its turned a bit colder the obvious crack as seen below has closed up a lot, still very visible and not open like the picture. Given we don't have summers in the UK like Southern California, there's no way heat was the culprit,

I guess after 22 years the Aluminium wasn't as strong as it once was...... and I'm a Pr1ck for wanting to ride it at Mountain Mayhem :facepalm:
Thank god I never entered it for a lap :shock:

Spud©™

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 838
Minifreak":1s0i8saj said:
Oh bugger, feel for you mate :(

Hope your planning of getting it fixed and strengthened.

TBH I just put it safely away and haven't looked at it twice since.

Deffo gonna get it repaired, just need to find a highly skilled welder who can weld it up without it looking like a seam on an industrial Oil pipe etc

Now its no longer crack free I suppose I've got a little more licence to enjoy it, so long as the repair is possible. If it was a little more sensational I'd enter the pic above in this months "Broken Bike" POTM

Anyway, enough of my woes and thread high jacking.

Re:

That's real bad luck mate, you must have been gutted, I know I would be. I think my heart would sink...

Hopefully you'll find somebody who can do the work for you and make it like me new...sort of...

I sent mine to frank the welder, its been there a while but has had a new headtube fitted and some chainsuck marks cleaned up. It'll be home soon and hopefully crack free. Its not a cheap option for repair but I just felt it deserved some real love. These bikes are true icons of the era, perhaps THE most iconic. If you want more details PM me.

Feeling sorry for that, Retro Spud... Mine is still untracked but somehow I feel it will crack on its, soon to take place, maiden ride.
The worst thing is not cracking it, but knowing it will easily crack somewhere else after repair...

I have read about the use of headset reducers but, in the end, the force received by the tube is exactly the same with or without the reducer so I am not sure about its effectiveness.

Back