1993 Kona Hot Project

mrkawasaki":3tp6qfd7 said:
Interesting comparison with the nearly finished Overbury's Pioneer. Stats-wise (Kona first/Overbury's second):

TT effective - 23"/22"
Seat post to bars - 28 1/2"/27"
Wheelbase - 43"/41 1/2"
BB height - 11 1/2"/13"
The wheelbase and BB height might change slightly on the Kona when you assemble the headset and fork. If it isn't just a photographic effect, the angles seem steeper/more racey on the Kona, particularly the seat tube angle. I wonder what the respective frame weights are?

Anthony - I'll weigh the Hot before I build it up, but I'm not about to strip the Overbury's. Of course I can do the final build weights - but let's not hold our breath! To confirm - the P2s are not in situ and have some tape protecting the frame, but it shouldn't effect wheelbase and BB measurements by more than 1/4". We'll reconvene on that...!

Geometry-wise, I was (and remain) intrigued by the respective BB heights and wheelbases, particularly of the Overbury's, the design considerations that may have taken place and the overall effect on handling. Considering Overbury's were churning out very traditional frames until the Pioneer, this must have been quite a leap of faith (both from a riding and a customer base) back in 1986. I'm looking forward to riding both and reporting back...

I agree that it wouldn't be at all surprising if the Overbury's was designed for a touring-type gentleman trying his hand at 'off-road', whereas the Kona is designed to race. On the other hand, the short wheelbase of the Pioneer will liven up the handling and go some way towards compensating for the slacker head angle. The quoted wheelbase of the Kona is 42.2 and it wouldn't surprise me if straightening up the P2 doesn't get you pretty close to that.

I wasn't suggesting that the Kona is ultra light. The designer (I think still Joe Murray at that point) chose the Ultimate Ultrastrong for stiffness/strength. Other makes e.g., Orange, ParkPre, Marin, offered frames made entirely of Ultimate Superlight, but sometimes spending an extra 50 grammes on a stiffer down tube can make for a faster bike.

I'd reason that geometry influences what the rider feels in terms of handling more so than tubing - hence I'm interested to compare these superficially similar bikes.

I'm also looking forward to comparing any discernible effects of tubing with the Hot, my Explosif and the Brodie Kinetic - which I suspect is a Kona in all but name.

The Hot looks very tidy indeed and if rasta is resisted it'll look properly stealthy too. The reboot of the Pioneer also looks cool, feeling tinges of envy that I'd obviously not reveal in public. Oh.

Nearly finished - couldn't resist a quick spin last night. Sublime handling (although the Moby post was typically willowy - I'll swap out for something stiffer when I do my Kona ti vs. steel handling review) and sense of acceleration.

Features include the fluted Tange Ultimate tubeset (was this set used on any other manufacturers bikes??), Bullesyes, USE combo bars and a Suntour MD XC Pro groupset - although I know those brakes are going to have to be upgraded to match the speed of the frame!

Attachments

• TET Hot 1993.jpg
    TET Hot 1993.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 773
Looks good Neil. Nice to see XC Pro being used and the Bullseye wheels look great too. Where did you find those NOS M231s though? I assume you just found them at the back of your lock-up, all forgotten and dusty.
Where those Tioga Wonder Dawgs in the pre-build photos by the way?

The final 'Kona against an urban brick wall' shot really needs some graffiti to complete the stereotype.

I know where you live so I'll send the boys round with the rattle cans.
Maybe they can touch up that frame while they are at it...

Back