1993 Dawes Synthesis 653

A couple of touring bikes have passed through my hands recently, so I have some components spare. I thought it was about time that I built a bike for winter commuting that I wouldn't need to worry about but also is also good fun!

I have a triple Ritchey logic crankset - don't need the other 2 rings on my commute so converted it to a single chainring upfront and 7 at the back. I am probably going to add some risers as the bullhorn road bars don't really do it for me. Next up is to fit my Deore LX brakes and she'll probably be nearly ready (also need to fit more suitable pedals). I have Deore LX shifters which may go on once I get the risers. Although for now it has a quirky ultegra DT lever mounted to the strangely mounted boss!

XB79cUCh.jpg

Here's the peculiarly-mounted shifter!

Fw2aVlZh.jpg

fossala":260ok5cf said:
I had one.

UZejr4B.jpg

Worst bike I have owned. Never enjoyed riding it. Looked nice and rugged though.

Can I ask why you didn't get on with yours? I have recently got a 653 XT model and for me, it is perfect in every way for what I want.

A couple of touring bikes have passed through my hands recently, so I have some components spare. I thought it was about time that I built a bike for winter commuting that I wouldn't need to worry about but also is also good fun!

I have a triple Ritchey logic crankset - don't need the other 2 rings on my commute so converted it to a single chainring upfront and 7 at the back. I am probably going to add some risers as the bullhorn road bars don't really do it for me. Next up is to fit my Deore LX brakes and she'll probably be nearly ready (also need to fit more suitable pedals). I have Deore LX shifters which may go on once I get the risers. Although for now it has a quirky ultegra DT lever mounted to the strangely mounted boss!

XB79cUCh.jpg

Here's the peculiarly-mounted shifter!

Fw2aVlZh.jpg

Hi @MartinB123 , can I ask how tall you are (and leg length if that's okay) and how your Synthesis fits you? I am about to buy a 501 Synthesis (same size as yours, but different year) here in Germany as I kinda fell in love with yours from the pictures. 😅 But it would be a longer drive to try it out and I can't really judge those old sloped frames. I am 181cm tall with a leg length of around 85cm.
Thanks in advance!

Back