1992 Rocky Mountain Team Comp

NigelFinnighan

Rocky Mountain Fan
There isn't a lot of information out there about these Team Comps- but based on the little bit of information I've been able to gather. *Please correct any of this if you know different* For 1992 only these were offered to Amateur-sponsored riders for a similar price to the Blizzard of the day. The Frame is made of Tange Ultimate- Ultralight, Groupset was Suntour XC Comp, bars/stem/post were branded RM, and most came originally with a Scott Unishock.

The frames were finished in either silver (most common) and green (least common), and have a 4 digit serial number. I'm not sure of the meaning of the 4 digit serial number, the people I've asked about it who seem more knowledgeable to me say these were Dekef welded?? can anyone confirm this?

I found this one on marketplace in Toronto, and was lucky enough to have a buddy visiting Toronto who was happy to bring it home with him on the plane. So thanks to Volvoshredder I got this in my possession a few weeks ago. IMG_3529.jpeg

IMG_3551.jpeg

Frame number 3713.

This bike came with a mish mash of parts, so I wanted to break it down give it a clean, then rebuild with what I had laying around, then switch out the temporary parts as I find them.

IMG_3590.jpeg

I've had these Spinner switchblade forks for a while, and I've wanted to use them on a few builds now, but wouldn't fit. They fit on this frame, so I had to put them on, I think they suit it.

I still have to switch the crank set over, but everything else is period XT. I'm looking for a silver Syncros stem and an appropriate silver bar.

Nice bike, and I agree, some Syncros would look good on that, along with some black RF I-Beams. The frame has some definite similarities with my '92 Ti, which also has a four digit SN.

RM supported the Amateure league in CDN mostly wird Steel frames later with AL too.
I don‘t know who welded them.
Chis did labour work for RM after he left them, specially in steel frames.

I like that, the paint looks a nice colour, and i think the parts on it look fine.

Bet it flies :cool:

"The Team Comps that have been on here were Equipe but for a different market area/country (naming)."

I'm sorry to disagree with you here Fluffy, but Rocky Mountain is Canadian, all of these Team Comps seem to be all here in Canada, what reason could they have to have identical spec bike available different by name only here? if it's a naming issue with the word "equipe" there wouldn't have been one to begin with.

I know this was somewhat common, as that's the theory with the Glacier/Blizzard. But here I think that theory begs a big question. If these are different in name only, why would Team Comps have 4 digit serials, while Equipes have overseas serials? They're stamped where they're made are they not?

The frame specs look identical to the Equipe- but the Equipe is made of Super light, and these are ultra light. Could it be possible these are Same geometry as the Equipes, but made from different tubing in-house in Canada?

While I'm on the subject, as an owner of a Glacier as well- The different naming for a different area/county doesn't make sense here either. As an owner of one I've searched for others- Most I've found have been here in Canada/ Northern US. I've always heard it as "The Blizzard for the German Market", if this is true, why are there blizzards in Germany and most Glaciers in Canada? (this sounds like an opener for a joke you'd hear at a Weather person convention)

My Glacier has a super early Serial- I91010590 - But it has "Performance Paint" that was only introduced in 92. My theory is- Glaciers were 91 blizzards taken off the line and painted as trial runs for their new "Performance Paint" powder coating and sold in Canada only.

I'm just trying to put the puzzle pieces together- All these question I'm posing are rhetorical in nature- but if anyone has an answer, please answer!

There is quite a lot of threads and info on this site surrounding the frames, just need to use the search (goooglie search helps too), and have a bit of spare time :)

Here is one to start you off, with some good info from @Blizz -

Did also find out that Equipe means Team in french, not really relevant it would seem, but interesting.

Thanks @mk one, Yes some good information there from @Blizz .

Here are a few more from another forum that also have some good bits of information.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/rocky-mt-expert.318614/ this one is mostly talking about the "Expert" from 92, but does reference the other weird non catalog bikes from 92.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/what-rocky-mountain-frame-do-i-have-here.797140/

(I hope these links work)

This is always the most interesting yet frustrating part of this hobby for me. Trying to find the pre-internet history of these things that has been lost for years. Gathering little puzzle pieces of information and seeing IF and HOW they fit. The frustrating part is realizing that regardless of how much information one can gather, it's all just a theory.

I think there have been Team Compe crop up with Ixxx numbers.
They also crop up in Germany.

Best bet is get on the Canadian Facebook group and hope someone happens to be reading it that worked at Rocky and would have welded up these frames at the time.

The none Ixx number would say made/farmed out by them, but one poster who I think new his stuff said they where not.

(probably in those links, long time since I read them) DeeEight was around at that time and tends to know his stuff and you could probably get some info from the old Newsgroups, often a good read.

I may well be wrong, it been a while.

There is a Team Comp listed on the serial database I have with I9101

Could you amend the serial with the 0 for the glacier if you missed it when entering it. :)
Any picture of all of these because it great fun finding out :)

Now what I cannot remember is and when a load of shipment Rockies where rebranded to sell when bought cheap by a shop... Or so thing like that.

Back