Love the photos in this thread. 😍 😍 Not sure where to look as I love both workshops and bikes and keep switching between bikes, components, tools (bike & non-bike!), storage drawers, vintage bike stand, lovely patina on the workbench, machinery teasing me in the background... I need a lie down!!! 🤣

I liked what Marin did with the finish on this frame so it tied in with the rest of the range, Many ti-bikes look vanilla and loose their brand identity, where as this frame retains it. 💪👍

One thing though ... I am 99,5% sure the alloy shims in the seat tube and in the head tube are original stock in these frames. The current and original seat post size is 27.0 mm.

Since the inner of the shim is quite damaged from small pebbles and seat post movement already and because I do not have any 27.0 seat posts but a shit ton full of Syncos titanium and Syncros black anodized seat posts, I think I am going to expand this and use my seat tube reamer to make it a 27.2 mm fit.

You can condemn me now! :-D

1992 marin team titanium litespeed retro kult mtb mountainbike build falko schloetel Germany 46.jpeg

Why? It literally makes no difference if the shim inside the tube is 1,2 or 1,0mm thick. And I rather prefer a perfect 27.2 inner tube surface than a scratched 27.0 :)

Makes the seat tube (size 27.2) much more common.

The shim inside the tube can easily be replaced. I do not metal work the tube! Only the shim ...

Machining a brand new shim to replace the old one would be another option.

Have you seen this Falko

Correct saddle

Yep ... but to be super precise: Its made in 9/1992 but in fact, what he sells is the Ti saddle for the following year 1993. The correct 1992 Ti saddle was different. I have them both and already prepared for this build :)

Here is a pic fro,m page 1. You can already see the correct Ti saddle for the model year 1992. The white leftover in the holes of the saddle is dried out leather care. I will get rid of it or it will simply disappear by riding.

But of course: Thank you for the link! I know I am annoyingly picky here although I have not been super accurate and period correct with the top tube decal ;-)

1992 marin team titanium litespeed retro kult mtb mountainbike build falko schloetel germany 04.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back