1992 Kona Explosif Pro – Finished Page 4

Re: Re:

jonthefish":29n47cjn said:
mfhxgram":29n47cjn said:
are those ti bars? nice built - good location too for the photos :D

Don't want to hijack thread so will be brief.
No ti bars or anything else costly or bling. Kona Race Light bars (old ebay find) and scuffed up Ritchey bar ends. Rest is mix. Ritchey levers, saddle, tyres. Mavic 517s with mis-matched hubs. XT cranks nicked from Mrsthefish's old bike (she hasn't noticed yet). XT rear mech and LX front (needed work but cheap). Deore thumbies. No-name pedals - rebuilt but still crap (no grip). Oh yeh - and frame needed "persuaded" back into shape viewtopic.php?f=1&t=286271.
Cheap build but works remarkably well, pedals excepted. Well happy.
Nought but good locations round here - am lucky.

Looks really good mate. As long as it rides well and you are happy with it, then all good.

I'll try and get some pictures up later :)

Re:

Right. Been trying to wait till I finished it but probably not much point.

Frame has been powder coated with a sparkle lacquer to sort of match the original paint. New decals (from Gil) including a NOS Prestige decal. Stem and handlebar repainted and new decals. Newly built spec wheels with Araya RM400-Pro XC rims and XC Pro hubs. Spec tyres off of eBay - Equalibrium and Propulsion. Even managed to find the combo cage with tyre levers and puncture kit :)

Everything else is XC Pro NOS or mint including the bottom bracket. Got the chain to go on as well and cable up properly.

I'm waiting for the spec O-Beam seatpost (current one is just for the time being) and pedals to come, not NOS or mint so we'll see what they are like but wanted to keep it to the original spec and they are impossible to find as it is.

Once its finished I'll do some proper shots so sorry for the poor quality :oops:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 731
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 731
Re:

Lovely job Gio. Something a bit different to your usual choice of build but still the same quality job.

Re: Re:

raidan73":37zx0u8s said:
Lovely job Gio. Something a bit different to your usual choice of build but still the same quality job.
Thanks mate. Taken a while but getting there slowly.

Hopefully found the right seatpost and pedals so we'll see how it turns out...

Re: 1992 Kona Explosif Pro

That is looking very good. Been looking forward to seeing how it was coming along. Good job. Bet it will ride nicely too. Obviously...

Re:

are those the folding version of the tyres....been looking for a set of those for over a year :facepalm:

looking good

Re:

Right, the sun was out and I decided to take some pictures of the final bike. Very happy with the way its turned out, I just need to give it a test ride and see how she rides :)

Build spec is as per the 92 catalogue :cool: Some bits were a real pain in the backside to find but we got there in the end...

Back