Sold 1992 Kona Explosif(?) f+f 17”

To be fair, looking at the 92 catalogue I’ve measured the top tube wrong:
67CDF70C-FDEE-4F40-AA33-A14CAB66A3BE.png
I’ve measured actual c/c where I should measure virtual.. I’ll check again when I get home. 👍

So this is a kona Explosif? Has it been repainted as in the 1992 catalogue the explosif doesn’t have this splatter type of paintjob.

Edit; no, Nevermind. Seen it in op

Tbh for me really depends if you could drive 30mi to Peterborough. As I actually have a train to catch.

Also I would want to sell the parts I’m selling first😉

Looking on a computer rather than phone now, I see what you mean about the tapering on the other tubes. Downtube and toptube tapered similar to my 95 Explosif with Columbus Max, but clearly not that late with the rack mounts - still seems to be a 1992 style, also with classic Kona missing cable stop, noting that isn't foolproof.

I had always thought the 92 explosif was straight tubed, but apparently Tange Prestige Concept did have ovalisation.

So subject to new measurements being taken - if they check out and ovalisation matches the Tange Prestige Concept style, then I would go 92 Explosif as other tubesets then are all straight (I think - I'm learning today!)

Awaiting new measurements excitedly

Ok, straight out the gate I need to say - this was sold to me as a 92 explosif frame only a few years back. Frame was in white powdercoat when I bought it. I added the splatters and stickers and have built it up in various guises and had fun with it. It’s certainly light enough and frame dimensions and tapers appear right to be an Explosif. It’s too small for me really so has ended up stripped and sat in the loft..
View attachment 696677View attachment 696678View attachment 696679
Comes with dog collar, p2 forks, Ritchey headset. The stem and bars are Marin ones I painted, you’re welcome to them if you want. Forks I painted and stickered too.
Frame is straight, front mech clamp has been over tightened at some point leaving a little crease (pic) and I think the nds bb thread is not perfect, bb goes in ok but I remember having to be a bit careful doing it..
Seems a shame that this is sat doing nothing, I’d like it to go to someone who will use it. Whether you build it as is or strip the finish off and go back to stock.
Happy to take more pics/measurements for potential purchaser but bear with as it’s up in the loft(!).
You can view if you’re local or we can arrange a meet maybe??
£100 posted sound fair?
Thanks.
Hi I would like to buy it please let me know how to proceed thanks

I am pretty sure that early Konas measured from top of BB to top of seat tube. Pic of my 18" 1992 Explosif is below (it measures 19" C to T). Down tube is tapered and ovalised. Top tube ovalsised. Bulge at base of seat tube. I think top tubes were a bit shorter than later frames as well. So....frame for sale is probably catalogue size 16" which might explain why seller found it a bit small.
1992 Explosif 18 inch.JPG

Latest posts

Back