Sold 1992 Kona Explosif(?) f+f 17”

Back up for sale - @Markybeau has passed on it. There is some question as to the frames true identity, the sizes don’t seem to tally up with Kona’s catalogue specs..
Anyone have any ideas?? I’m happy to take more measurements (it’s in the garage now!), the tubes all taper etc like an Explosif should?? Should I strip it down and weigh it?
Hmmm, who’s up for solving this?
:)

Back up for sale - @Markybeau has passed on it. There is some question as to the frames true identity, the sizes don’t seem to tally up with Kona’s catalogue specs..
Anyone have any ideas?? I’m happy to take more measurements (it’s in the garage now!), the tubes all taper etc like an Explosif should?? Should I strip it down and weigh it?
Hmmm, who’s up for solving this?
:)
Is it a 93 Kilauea?

Is it a 93 Kilauea?
Top tube was my issue. It's about an inch and a half too short. Even the 14" frames had a longer tt than this at 21". This is 17" and has a 20.75" tt... and Kona didn't do a 17" frame until 97. Measurements, for steel frames certainly, were standardised throughout the range. All very confusing, as the other bits look right.

Ahh: I've since discovered that 92 and earlier frames were measured from the top of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube, which would make this a 16"

It's a shame Pip's not here. He would know.

Last edited:
Didn’t Kona measure slightly differently in the early days, not C-T (I’m as guilty as everyone on this) with the measurements. So a 17 C-T maybe say a 16/18 depending on whether it was top or bottom of BB to T.

This doesn’t then explain the measurements already quoted though.

If it is a Kona, which noting the above comments it does look like one it would appear to be a 92, as rack mounts still on top of the stats and no intergrated seat clamp - also excludes 92.5 Kilauea which had 93 style frame.

Note re tapering of tubes, I can see this on the seat tube, but my 92 FM had this tapering so that’s not an clear indicator of model, not sure in the other tubes. Edit:- see later post re tapering looking at photos on bigger screen

Last edited:
Back