1991 rocky mountain cirrus build

Re:

When I get the frame back and strip the clear coat what should I do with the cable stops? Should I remove them and re rivet them or just clean around them? I want to get the best finish possible.

Re: 1991 rocky mountain cirrus ( long term project)

Found a pic of mine, didn't restore the frame as I quite liked the patina and colour it had gone under the lacquer

Nice 1992 right? Definitely better shape and more complete than mine :D my finish is pretty beat up you can see a bit in the pictures. If it wasn't for having to get it repaired I would probably leave it but it won't be original any way and it has some light corrosion under the clear coat that looks like wood worms. No damage to the aluminum but it just doesn't look awesome visually.

chillibiker":26anuceo said:
Nice 1992 right? Definitely better shape and more complete than mine :D my finish is pretty beat up you can see a bit in the pictures. If it wasn't for having to get it repaired I would probably leave it but it won't be original any way and it has some light corrosion under the clear coat that looks like wood worms. No damage to the aluminum but it just doesn't look awesome visually.

Yes 92 I believe, sold last summer and still missed as it was a lovely bike but too big. It had the wood worm you describe under the lacquer in small part but added character.

Depending on how you want to build your bike, it shouldn't be too hard to track the right bits down either here via the sale and wanted ads, on the various Facebook pages that have sprung up, or on eBay.

Keep up the good work :)

Re:

So far I have an uncut syncros bar, original xt derailleurs, and shifters, a choice of silver syncros stem or one I might refinish black and re decal. I also have a wheel set with non series shimano hub on the back and a sealed kk hub on the front from 1991 laced to black araya single wall rims that I will probably replace when I find somthing better. I seem to remember the bike coming with a syncros looking silver seat post that you can see in the first pictures I took a few years ago that should be in my storage locker. I will take a look later this week if I can. I have one of the original xt brakes, looks like the other one left the bike when the power lite fork got poached who knows when. So really that just leaves cranks, one brake, and a fork that I need right now to make it rideable. I have some cnc bonz cranks ( remember those?) but they would probably look out of place on the bike. Then to make it stronger/ look better, seat post, fork (if I can't find somthing that works good now) and wheel set, all things I can up grade as time progresses

Re:

"Too new" ...

Who cares, they're quite different/unique, and they look cool ... I say go for it!

Re:

Thought they looked cool I have a couple of sets from my buddy. He knows the guy that made them back in the day. They are cncd from a solid block of aluminum and have a removable spider. I have one set like this with the decals and another that is just plain. They were some of the only cranks back in the day that could hold up on the local free ride trials in chilliwack. My buddy snapped xt 's, race face, and kooka cranks. These were the only ones that would not brake. They were popular with free riding and trials bikes back In the day. They only stopped making them because the interfaces kept changing and it cost too much to keep up.

Back