1990 Nigel Dean / Campag - ID and compatibility help needed

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: 1990 Nigel Dean / Campag - ID and compatibility help nee

Your seatpost is Mavic :cool:

For the rear cogs, you could only change the spacers for being shimano or Suntour compatible ;)

That thing sticking out your bars looks like the internals of a Campag Bullet shifter which would make sense as there are no shifters ;)

Vinevo":3vyc0mdz said:
That thing sticking out your bars looks like the internals of a Campag Bullet shifter which would make sense as there are no shifters ;)

May well be. I was given *some* bits of a bullet shifter (just the one) with the bike. Not all the bits you need, mind you.

24pouces":3gxdmvv9 said:
Your seatpost is Mavic :cool:

For the rear cogs, you could only change the spacers for being shimano or Suntour compatible ;)

The seatpost is indeed Mavic (quite nice too) and you win a virtual biscuit :)

Cool - that is the third Nigel Dean Nevads that I have seen, two are in my garage :LOL: Redhat on here has a Montana, that has 501 magnum frame.

I have a set of bullet shifters and a set of thumbies that you can have for sensible money - pm me.

Gil_m has the proof for these decals that we scaled from pics for my resto.

So pleased to see another one, they are great bikes.

Thanks Coleman - have PM'd you

Blimey you are indeed a knowledgeable and friendly bunch - thank you everyone for all your help.

I will give her a polish and add to the British Steel thread once worthy

Coleman - I have PM'd you

Campag experts - I seem to have been given a pair of Shimano trigger shifters with the bike (marked 'SB' on one of the shifters). It looks as if they may have been used on the bike at some point.

Any idea if they are compatible? I'd have thought not, but you never know?

drcarlos":1hm7hoie said:
According to Sheldons crib sheet here: http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

Suntour and Campag spacing is the same for 8's so XC Pro 8's shifters should work.

There are two set for sale here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suntour-XC-Pr ... 3a874aa4b5

Carl.

Wrong
It won't work. While the cassette spacing is indeed the same, the pull per click of Campag is completely different. You need Campag shifters to work with a Campag mech. As a short term fix, use thumbies with the indexing switched off.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you sure? I used to use an Olympus rear mech with M730 thumbies and a UG 6 speed cassette BITD and the indexing worked perfectly.

I'll add that I bought the Olympus mech on a whim (it was massively discounted from about £70 to £25) and just swapped it over from a DeoreII and used it for about 2 years like that. I did try and use some XCD 6 speed thumbies at one point with the Deore mech and UG cassette but try as I might the index was always just off. Now we have the resource of Sheldons site I saw that the speed spacing for Suntour and Shimano was different so it would never work.

Carl.

Back