1990 Nigel Dean / Campag - ID and compatibility help needed

handmadecyclist

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, new to these parts, bear with me

I have accidentally acquired a new (old) bike. A bit of a project. It has some interesting bits on it, I need your help a little...

Its a Nigel Dean, 531 Magnum Tubes (so a Nevada?), rigid fork, a little tired but we'll see what T-Cut can do. Also has a 'Cosmic Trail' decal on the downtube.

Campag front and rear mech, chainset, hubs, cantis and front rim. Campag Kappa front rim, Araya rear. Not sure which Campag groupset it is though - anyone able to help?

Currently missing shifters - can anyone advise if any non-Campag shifters would be compatible?

Bloody narrow Italmanubri (ITM) 'Super Alloy' bars - any ideas what the strange and dangerous looking thingie sticking out the end is? Seems to actually be part of the bars...

Anyone out there who can help? More photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35040602@N02/

Also just previewed this... sorry for the massive photos

Thanks

Neil

Attachments

• P1040011.JPG
    P1040011.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 438
  • P1040012.JPG
    P1040012.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 438
  • P1040013.JPG
    P1040013.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 438
  • P1040014.JPG
    P1040014.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 438
  • P1040016.JPG
    P1040016.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 438
  • P1040018.JPG
    P1040018.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 438
Re: 1990 Nigel Dean / Campag - ID and compatibility help nee

Hi

Lovely frame, could well be a Nevada, I used Sachs grip shifts on my Cannondale with Campagnolo mechs very successfully ;) :D

Bloody narrow Italmanubri (ITM) 'Super Alloy' bars - any ideas what the strange and dangerous looking thingie sticking out the end is? Seems to actually be part of the bars...

[/quote]

Looks like some early quill-type bar ends were used there... Nice bike :D

Very nice find.

The Cosmic Trail sticker refers to a company that used to make all sorts of accessories, like bum bags and those triangle bags that sit under the top tube and in front of the seat tube.

The fittings at the end of the bar are for bar ends. USE and also I think Onza and probably others made bars ends for a short while that fixed into the bar rather than clamped over the bar.

As for Nigel Dean details, drop a PM to Coleman, or search for the British Steel thread. I think Adrian has built a couple up and knows a bit about them.

Good luck with the build, I think you've landed on your feet with that bike. :mrgreen:

Campag parts are Olympus a short lived group that was pretty decent if a little heavy, bits come up from time to time and I believe that you need the olympus thumbies (bullets twist grips are useless) as they are 8 speed and I think different spacing to 7's. You could try Suntour XC Pro 8's thumbies though, they may work.

Carl.

Campag 7 and 8 speed cassettes and freewheels have the same spacing ie. 5mm. ;)

Thanks everyone... knew you could help

So to find some Olympus or Suntour thumb shifters. Not going to go for the NOS bullet shifters at £140 a pop in Brick Lane Bikes...!

Anyone got any recommendations for good sources of old Campag kit?

I've rather fallen in love with this bike... was a freebie too... now just need to do her / it justice

handmadecyclist":1uhf2tuk said:
... was a freebie too...

You'll make no friends round here with comments like that. :mrgreen:

You have a cracking good project there, and with not too much work you should end up with a heck of a bike.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back