1990 Mongoose Iboc Pro

Thanks for all the kind comments. I took it out for a longer fire road spin last night and I'm really enjoying this one. Chain now fixed and some spd's fitted which make a huge difference. Still need to tweak the saddle angle and adjust the front mech. Whilst looking for a spare wheel I remembered I have these for another project which I have yet to start so the Mongoose has borrowed the front for then time being. Just looks so right in my opinion without being ott.

Not sure on the rear spacing being 130. Will have a measure when I get a chance.

View attachment 565445

View attachment 565446

I don't really know why but ever since I picked up a copy of MBA in 1989 I always quite fancied a Mongoose. I guess as the kid with a Raleigh Grifter they were this cool US BMX brand and the main man Johnny T was riding for them and who didn't want to be like Tomac !. Over the years I've seen a few lower end models come up but they never really did it enough for me to press the button. Then this popped up on marketplace yesterday so a trip over to Croydon and I finally got my Iboc.

Spec wise it's fairly original comparing to the 90 brochure. Tyres should be Mongoose black wall but I actually like the look of the Specialized tan walls so those can stay. Both derailleurs are upgraded to XT over the DX that should be fitted. Saddle was no doubt long gone and had been replaced with some Madison gel job. I had this spare one kicking about so until I find a Turbo that will do for the moment. Rims should be RM17 but the rear has been replaced with a 231CD and the front RM17 is so concaved it can't be more than a fag paper thick so going to need to swap that out. I've got lots of spare wheels so will probably go 231 silvers on DX hubs as a compromise. Finally it had no grips fitted so it has some Wilko specials for the time being. Think it's only fitting that I dig out some Tomac Attacks really.

I took it out for a little 12 mile loop tonight after work and it's not bad. A stiff link in the chain needs sorting and the rear brake cables a bit stiff, especially as I was trying not to use the front brake much due to that rim, so I need to sort those. One thing I had forgotten is how rubbish toe clips are. I think some SPD's are going to be in order or just use them as flats without the

I don't really know why but ever since I picked up a copy of MBA in 1989 I always quite fancied a Mongoose. I guess as the kid with a Raleigh Grifter they were this cool US BMX brand and the main man Johnny T was riding for them and who didn't want to be like Tomac !. Over the years I've seen a few lower end models come up but they never really did it enough for me to press the button. Then this popped up on marketplace yesterday so a trip over to Croydon and I finally got my Iboc.

Spec wise it's fairly original comparing to the 90 brochure. Tyres should be Mongoose black wall but I actually like the look of the Specialized tan walls so those can stay. Both derailleurs are upgraded to XT over the DX that should be fitted. Saddle was no doubt long gone and had been replaced with some Madison gel job. I had this spare one kicking about so until I find a Turbo that will do for the moment. Rims should be RM17 but the rear has been replaced with a 231CD and the front RM17 is so concaved it can't be more than a fag paper thick so going to need to swap that out. I've got lots of spare wheels so will probably go 231 silvers on DX hubs as a compromise. Finally it had no grips fitted so it has some Wilko specials for the time being. Think it's only fitting that I dig out some Tomac Attacks really.

I took it out for a little 12 mile loop tonight after work and it's not bad. A stiff link in the chain needs sorting and the rear brake cables a bit stiff, especially as I was trying not to use the front brake much due to that rim, so I need to sort those. One thing I had forgotten is how rubbish toe clips are. I think some SPD's are going to be in order or just use them as flats without the clips.

View attachment 565023
Thanks for these inspiring words; so if I can pick one up for €50,- you'd say: Go!!?
This one is apparently in good shape, is the biggest size and has DX thumbies and a XT rear derailleur.
In the ongoing proces to build up an even more rarer, more special or more desirabke bike, I've collected a wilde range of canti's so the crappy v-brakes are easy to swap ..... maybe mount XT V-brakes (the trapezium ones)???? ......or not??

Mongoose Iboc Pro
Bieden

Thanks for these inspiring words; so if I can pick one up for €50,- you'd say: Go!!?
This one is apparently in good shape, is the biggest size and has DX thumbies and a XT rear derailleur.
In the ongoing proces to build up an even more rarer, more special or more desirabke bike, I've collected a wilde range of canti's so the crappy v-brakes are easy to swap ..... maybe mount XT V-brakes (the trapezium ones)???? ......or not??

Mongoose Iboc Pro
Bieden
Go!

I would definately go for it. I wish mine was the bigger size. Personally I would put it back to cantis rather than V's but I like originality even over functionality. Im the first to admit V's are much better.

I would definately go for it. I wish mine was the bigger size. Personally I would put it back to cantis rather than V's but I like originality even over functionality. Im the first to admit V's are much better.
Gotcha!
Dirty, some minor rusty spots and equiped with two different mavic rims but nevertheless ...nice.
Issue with rims is solved within the hour since I have a Sun Leventer wheelset at home.
Seller even still had a pair of very decent Onza's ......
About these tires, are they a pair? (No indication of being so on the tires) and if so, which one upfront?
Let's get dirty this weekend!

@RetroDavy

20230922_145408.jpg
20230922_152341.jpg
20230922_152419.jpg

Looks like a great buy. Happy to have played a minor role with encouragement! Look forward to hearing about first ride and plans.

First ride?
Wobbly, unfamiliar but with a huge grin on my face!!

Now, the plans.
It's not only drooling over fabulous bikes here, it's also finding kudos for your plans!

I try to limitize my treasurehunt with one rule in my head; do I have the complementary parts to bring the bike back to its original state?

Well, not allways. I couldn't resist this one, despite the fact that I knew upfront that it was not original (rims, saddle, xt/dx mix, etc)

Having said that, the new fitted Sun levanter rims apparantly have BMX pedigree as well, the deraillers and DX thumbies work flawless.

20230924_140855.jpg
20230924_152120.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back