1990 Mongoose Iboc Pro

gtturbo

Senior Retro Guru
I don't really know why but ever since I picked up a copy of MBA in 1989 I always quite fancied a Mongoose. I guess as the kid with a Raleigh Grifter they were this cool US BMX brand and the main man Johnny T was riding for them and who didn't want to be like Tomac !. Over the years I've seen a few lower end models come up but they never really did it enough for me to press the button. Then this popped up on marketplace yesterday so a trip over to Croydon and I finally got my Iboc.

Spec wise it's fairly original comparing to the 90 brochure. Tyres should be Mongoose black wall but I actually like the look of the Specialized tan walls so those can stay. Both derailleurs are upgraded to XT over the DX that should be fitted. Saddle was no doubt long gone and had been replaced with some Madison gel job. I had this spare one kicking about so until I find a Turbo that will do for the moment. Rims should be RM17 but the rear has been replaced with a 231CD and the front RM17 is so concaved it can't be more than a fag paper thick so going to need to swap that out. I've got lots of spare wheels so will probably go 231 silvers on DX hubs as a compromise. Finally it had no grips fitted so it has some Wilko specials for the time being. Think it's only fitting that I dig out some Tomac Attacks really.

I took it out for a little 12 mile loop tonight after work and it's not bad. A stiff link in the chain needs sorting and the rear brake cables a bit stiff, especially as I was trying not to use the front brake much due to that rim, so I need to sort those. One thing I had forgotten is how rubbish toe clips are. I think some SPD's are going to be in order or just use them as flats without the clips.

20210823_184426.jpg

Attachments

• 20210823_184418.jpg
    20210823_184418.jpg
    923.5 KB · Views: 31
Super cool 😍 I had one of these sadly where it was badly stored the frame was rotten where the stays met the BB so it was toast 🙁
I believe these are 130 oln aren't they?

Thanks for all the kind comments. I took it out for a longer fire road spin last night and I'm really enjoying this one. Chain now fixed and some spd's fitted which make a huge difference. Still need to tweak the saddle angle and adjust the front mech. Whilst looking for a spare wheel I remembered I have these for another project which I have yet to start so the Mongoose has borrowed the front for then time being. Just looks so right in my opinion without being ott.

Not sure on the rear spacing being 130. Will have a measure when I get a chance.

Screenshot_20210826-092521_Gallery.jpg

20210825_192444.jpg

One Mongoose, two Mongeese/Mongoose’s/Mongi…. the eternal conundrum…. 🤔

I’m sure T.H.M. will be along shortly to clarify! 😄

Nice bike btw 😎

I don't really know why but ever since I picked up a copy of MBA in 1989 I always quite fancied a Mongoose. I guess as the kid with a Raleigh Grifter they were this cool US BMX brand and the main man Johnny T was riding for them and who didn't want to be like Tomac !. Over the years I've seen a few lower end models come up but they never really did it enough for me to press the button. Then this popped up on marketplace yesterday so a trip over to Croydon and I finally got my Iboc.

Spec wise it's fairly original comparing to the 90 brochure. Tyres should be Mongoose black wall but I actually like the look of the Specialized tan walls so those can stay. Both derailleurs are upgraded to XT over the DX that should be fitted. Saddle was no doubt long gone and had been replaced with some Madison gel job. I had this spare one kicking about so until I find a Turbo that will do for the moment. Rims should be RM17 but the rear has been replaced with a 231CD and the front RM17 is so concaved it can't be more than a fag paper thick so going to need to swap that out. I've got lots of spare wheels so will probably go 231 silvers on DX hubs as a compromise. Finally it had no grips fitted so it has some Wilko specials for the time being. Think it's only fitting that I dig out some Tomac Attacks really.

I took it out for a little 12 mile loop tonight after work and it's not bad. A stiff link in the chain needs sorting and the rear brake cables a bit stiff, especially as I was trying not to use the front brake much due to that rim, so I need to sort those. One thing I had forgotten is how rubbish toe clips are. I think some SPD's are going to be in order or just use them as flats without the clips.

View attachment 565023
Back in 1990 my Marin Pine Mountain had been stolen so this was the choice for my next bike.

I was dreaming about it and even remember the adverts to this day featuring John Tomac with the bike over his shoulder.

I had this on order from a bike shop in Crosby, Liverpool. I waited for weeks and weeks and weeks.

After a few months of waiting the shop had to refund me as the bike never arrived.

I eventually opted for another Marin, the Indian Fire Trail, but was always disappointed about not experiencing the Iboc Pro.

At the time I’d been racing with my friends for a couple of years and the long wait without a bike along with the teenage temptation to party meant I never raced again. Meanwhile my friends Matt Guy, Ian Cuthberson and others went on to become sponsored and champions in the sport.

I still look back on that period of my life with big regrets.

Back