1990 GT Tequesta Impulse Buy

Any excuse to post this....
My Tequesta rescued from a pawn shop, really bad condition:
1839eecc.jpg

After a lot of blood sweat and Autosol, now looks like this:
6940f48b.jpg

It can be done, and it's worth it!! I had to hand paint some of the frame back, and the decals.... remove a rusted in BB etc. Click on link in my sig for more.

Entered in BOTM but too much fancy bling blinding folk to this, the true gem ;-) :-D

the grips look disgusting!.......i landed a set of manitou 1 forks once and stripped them to find the elastomers like that!.......i disposed of them like someone elses dirty underpants...... :shock:

Thanks for the interest folks.

I stripped the bike down tonight with my young lad (all bar headset & BB). Feeling quite positive about the job now.

I think it could do with front mech, grips, pedals, and cables. Oh, and tyres.

The frame needs a good clean up, and I can see where the original owner (who obviously loved the bike) has touched up chips and scratches using white and sky blue paint. They have done a decent job as you really have to look for them. Once its cleaned I will do the same.

BTW, what is the score with changing the rear brake cable as its routed through the top tube? I didn't dare take it out.

Rob and Kaytronica, looks like you have both done some good work getting your GTs nice.

Feetabix, I see you have a Jack Taylor. Any chance of a pic? I only live three miles from where they made their bikes. I was in the supermarket the other day and heard an employee, a lad of about 30 b1tching about not being able to get the weekend off. I paid no attention until I heard him say he wanted to go to a bike festival at York. He went on to tell his female collegue (who was feigning interest) that he had eight Jack Taylor bikes, and that Jack and Norman were going to be there, along with loads of JT bikes as it is 75 years since he started his business. Anyway, I digress.

I know exactly what you mean about your grips - I picked up a cheap Scott this week off eBay and I got that handful of mastic you mention!

Good buy - call me sad, but I've now bought a couple of 30 quid-ish bikes off eBay, and it's always an excitement to turn up and see what you've actually bought! Some nice parts there - you've not done badly at all.

Back