1990 Alpinestars CroMegaDX - Update 26/5/10 (page3)

sinnett177":3s1ksss5 said:
The one you really wanted, well done. Guess you'll be going down the at-4 route then?

Defo the one I really wanted, but I'm going to really enjoy going to town on all three of them, if I'm totally honest :)

Not sure which project will end up being at-4'd but at least I have it in the garage ready to go on a bike when I do finally decide.

You can add me to the list of cro mega owners. Mine's just taking ages due to funds and time restraints (mine is 1991 like the photo on your profile pic).

Is this the 1990 then? Looking forward to seeing it built up.

coomber":1e6nc9vt said:
You can add me to the list of cro mega owners. Mine's just taking ages due to funds and time restraints (mine is 1991 like the photo on your profile pic).

Is this the 1990 then? Looking forward to seeing it built up.

Yeah this one is an 89/90' model (I actually saw it in my LBS back in 89, and put a deposit on it then, then saved and saved llike a madman and finally picked it up early in 90). I've got a 91' in grey too, hence the profile pic. And an Almega, and now I'm become a bit of a collector. lol.
Steve

I had one similar to that but mine was purple and pink with yellow Alpinestars decals, not sure of the model year and cannot remember what year I got it ,might have been 1994-95? It got nicked in 2004 I was gutted and I have never seen another like it, although my mate had one in blue and green next model up. Good luck with the build and I look forward to reading the thread.

Tony

Cheers Tony,

From your descriptions, they're not any A-stars that I recognise, but by 2005 cars had taken over, and I lost interest in bikes for a few years. I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will come along soon to put you straight on what it was exactly that you had??

I'm going to aim to get this build 'right' if you get me? Not looking to get it period correct, or mint, or anything else other than as clost to 100% how I had my original Cro-Mega, BITD. Luckily I've got plent of old photo's to go by, and I'm just going to enjoy tracking all the original bits (I had fitted BITD) down for that authentic rebuild. I think it'll probably take me an age to do that, but we'll just have to see.

Steve

Git, but I know how you feel about the 89/90 Cro-Mega, I had exactly the same in a midget frame size and lover her to bits! There are no part left unmdified by the time I finished with her and the frame took an absolute hammering and just kept going strong!

I was stupid enough to sell her so a mate cheap when college life took hold fully then it was my cars.

Not dissimilar to you, owned 3 STI's, modded all of them including one I took to 500 brake (no they don't have RB26DETT blocks so it ain't that easy! :p) and a beautiful french Blue Evo 7. Got my eye out for a bright yellow 7 at the moment. The 8&9 don't do it for me.

Anyway, waffle over, do a good job with her! :D

orange71":3nn5uko4 said:
Diamond Back Topanga :oops: :LOL:

"Highlights" include Campagnolo Bullet Shifters and a fluoro Flexstem :LOL:

That was my first bike, huge frame, was so glad when I got shot of that for the Cro-Mega lol :D.

Hi Steve,

Nice to see it arrived OK and you're happy with it... I have to say it was hard to part with for me too. Luckily it's a bit too large for me, but if a 16" ever comes around it'll be mine!! ;-)

Can't wait to see pics of your build and of course "in action" pics too :cool: Shipping was a pain in the *ss but at least everything worked out OK in the end...

Have a nice Christmas and a happy New Year everyone! ;-)

Void

Ok, so today I managed to get the first of 6 days off work, and set about building this up with some of the parts I've amassed recently.

By no means period-correct, but it has spookily evolved into a mix of the parts I had at the time (Deore shifters and Velo Ti saddle) and some of the 'must have's' back in the day - Ritchey brake levers and ritchey bars :cool: :cool:

I was desperate to get the pics taken this evening so right at the last minute, at dusk, the rain stopped for 5 minutes so I could take pics (and there's a lot!!!!!):
1990CroMegaDX019.jpg

1990CroMegaDX022.jpg

1990CroMegaDX020.jpg

1990CroMegaDX027.jpg

1990CroMegaDX028.jpg

1990CroMegaDX018.jpg

1990CroMegaDX017.jpg

1990CroMegaDX035.jpg

1990CroMegaDX033.jpg

1990CroMegaDX032.jpg

1990CroMegaDX038.jpg

1990CroMegaDX039.jpg

1990CroMegaDX041.jpg

1990CroMegaDX043.jpg

1990CroMegaDX049.jpg

1990CroMegaDX050.jpg

1990CroMegaDX051.jpg

1990CroMegaDX045.jpg

1990CroMegaDX046.jpg

1990CroMegaDX047.jpg

1990CroMegaDX052.jpg

1990CroMegaDX037.jpg

1990CroMegaDX024.jpg

1990CroMegaDX026.jpg

1990CroMegaDX048.jpg

Been a really emotional build for me this one as it was my VERY FIRST MTB BITB, and in no ways complete, but I'm (slowly working my way towards the completion of a full 1990 Alpinestars line-up ;) :cool: :) )

Still to come are a pair of XT caged pedals with bright neon toe-clips, a nice set of Onza barends and the 'showroom-correct ;) ' Araya RX7 rims with DX hubs and Tioga Farmer John nephew tyres.

Steve

Back