Why do you ride retro?

Its the same as the chap who has an old topless Morgan in the shed,takes time restoring it and then takes it for blasts on a Sunday and realising what its all about.

I ride usually with my :
> my klein attitude
> my ritchey softail
> my breezer ligtnning

I ride ponctualy with my :
> klein adroit singlespeed
> Sworks ultimate epic

It's all about horses for courses IMHO..

Where I ride in kent there are no big rocky downhills, it's all twisty singletrack and a good helping of Mud.. as such an old bike with cantis and no suspension is marvellous for everyday use..(not that i get out on the tracks everyday...)

However, when I went to Afan and did some of the rockier runs i was f*ckin glad i had hired a new bike with suspension. I have no doubt that many people are brave and skillful enough to hurtle down this kind of terrain on a rigid bike with Canits but I'M NOT ONE OF THEM...

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that Retro is great and i love the look, feel and thought of them... but for some people riding them everyday might not be soo appealing and i can see why..

I like retro steel frames cos they offer(ed) a great ride for the money. I do put modern bits on though ! But the reason is because there still good , if not better than some stuff you get today. Been purchasing mtb's since 91 and i think that there is a lot of stuff these days that is very over priced for what you get ( was a bike shop manager too ) God, you used to get True Temper on a £220 Sorrento years ago now you just get a heavy lump of Alu..........."oh it's Aluminum, how light " i would here in the shop....yes, that's exactly what the marketing team were hoping you would say........i would think.

Because i`m tight with money,it it dont break dont fix it and when i sold of my monster the other year,there was only one upgrade i wanted ,,a yo-eddy and you can`t bung to much new stuff on,so some had to be retro,criminal otherwise.

Because I am retro, still work out money in pre decimal amounts,listen to mid 70's heavy metal and like phones that have a wire.

I ride retro because;

I like the feeling of owning a bike from the time that bikebuidling was about pashion for the sport and technic ,..
I can really admire the weldings of my Serotta's ,....you can see the crafmanship in there that you won't see in a modern Trek to name one,..
Sure, there are still handmade frames available which are great to look at,...but i just love the retro feeling,....
And i like to be different,.....i like the the appricited looks i get when i ride the Klein for instance when somebody who knows what it is,..or maybe remembers one from back then, and respectfully smiles or gives me the thumbs up.
I had a discussion the other day at a lbs,..he was telling me about 120mm travel,..ultra low seats,...discbrakes the size of my head (big!) ,....and when i told him i ride the Klein Attitude the right way (straight fork) he looked at me if i was mad,......that new stuff,..that's just not me
I am getting retro myself i guess

PS,..I bought a new ride myself last week,.. a Kona Unit 2-9 :oops:
I just want to find out what a 29-er rides like.

Back