1989 Tom Bromwich

the cov cycle centre is one of my locals....they still do handbuilt frames there under the name 'qubic' and fine lookers they are too.....the history of cycle and component manufacture goes way back in coventry, a fact that didnt go unnoticed by the germans in 1940.....nice to see the legacy remains!..... :D

Another two and a half months have passed, and at this glacial rate of progress the frame will have turned to dust and I will be too old to ride it before it looks like a bike again.

I did go to the effort of photographing this period advert though, so I am at least thinking about starting to maybe do something in the future.

P1010993.JPG

I think I may also have sorted some rims - MAvic Oxygen M6 - poached from another wheelset.

Rod_Saetan":ze4tcgvh said:
Another two and a half months have passed, and at this glacial rate of progress the frame will have turned to dust and I will be too old to ride it before it looks like a bike again.

I did go to the effort of photographing this period advert though, so I am at least thinking about starting to maybe do something in the future.

P1010993.JPG

I think I may also have sorted some rims - MAvic Oxygen M6 - poached from another wheelset.

Looking forward to seeing your progress mate... :cool:

Nearly 2 years since I sent this away to storage, thought I should get round to getting on with it.

So, a friend has recently completed an apprenticeship under Colombian master builder Jose Duarte, I asked him for some advice on the frame, and he said he could sort out the issues, and give it a lick of paint. I gave him the frame, a fork with too short a steerer and a stem, and told him that I didn't mind what he did with it as long as it looked 80s - carte blanche.

So far the frame has travelled back to Colombia and received some work to replace the broken cable stop and get the remnants of the BB out, whilst checking it over the chain stay revealed it may have some problems, a bit of poking around lead to a couple of holes, which were subsequently dealt with (with aplomb). The fork has been cut, had a steerer extension brazed in and re-threaded.

Bromwich1.JPG

Bromwich3.JPG

Bromwich4.JPG

Bromwich5.JPG

I thought that given the huge amount of effort put in by someone else I should probably have a fair stab at getting the rest together, an initial scan of the spares has revealed a NOS set of Mavic Oxygen M6 rims, some NOS Michelin tyres, an M730 group set and some Bullseye or Mavic Paris/Dakar hubs. Probably have bars, seat post and other stuff plus an enviable selection of Selle Turbos to fit (dependent on colour cheme of course).

To be continued... *

* hopefully a little sooner than 2 years from now.

Re:

Nice to see you continuing with this on mate. I look forward to seeing more......

I also remember that advert (2nd post in thread) from one of the first issues of MBUK. I actually gave them a ring and spent about an hour chatting with, who I assume was, Tom Bromwich. He was really friendly, and happy to chat about his bikes. I never got to see one in the flesh, though, but it's nice to see there is still love out there for them.

Back