1989 Spectrum Titanium by Merlin Metalworks

lewisfoto

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Many of you may know the name Tom Kellogg as the designer of the early Merlin road frames. (his name is on the left chainstay) But Kellogg also runs his own company called Spectrum Cycles which specializes in custom steel and titanium bicycles. He is still at it and for a price you can get a truly fine machine completely custom ordered to your specifications.

The bike here was not custom ordered by me, I picked it up second hand in 1997, but It has pretty standard geometry so it fits well.

Here is where the story gets interesting, when I bought the bike it looked very much like the one you are looking at with Dura-Ace 7400 and Mavic MA-40 rims 3ttt bars etc. But because I got the bike to ride the first thing I did was begin to upgrade it with 9 speed DA, Rolf Vector Pro wheels, Look carbon fork and a Fizik saddle. For year this was my main road bike and I never looked back until....

I got the RetroBike bug and looking at the now old Spectrum I realized that I had bought an all original bike and turned it into a hybrid of sorts. So I began the somewhat slow process of returning the Spectrum to its origins. Along the way the clear coat had yellowed so I removed it along with the decals and polished the frame to the sparkle you see here

That was longer then I intended.

1989 Spectrum titanium road racing bicycle made by Merlin metal works for Tom Kellogg including a Dura Ace 7400/7401 kit; 3ttt bar and stem; Selle San Marcos Rolls saddle; Specialized sealed bearing hubs laced to Mavic MA-40 rims; Dura-Ace chain and freewheel

Attachments

• 88 Spectrum 3-4 behind web.jpg
    88 Spectrum 3-4 behind web.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,808
  • 88 Spectrum Bars web.jpg
    88 Spectrum Bars web.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 1,808
  • 88 Spectrum Head tube web.jpg
    88 Spectrum Head tube web.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 1,807
  • 88 Spectrum Rear Der web.jpg
    88 Spectrum Rear Der web.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 1,807
  • 88 Spectrum Seat Cluster web.jpg
    88 Spectrum Seat Cluster web.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,807
  • 88 Spectrum web.jpg
    88 Spectrum web.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 1,809
Re: 1989 Spectrum by Merlin Metalworks

Beautiful !

I have a spectrum from around the same era which I picked up last year. It came with a 7402 group and a wicked rainbow paint job...

Andy

fatfixie":2vrk2y5e said:
Beautiful !

I have a spectrum from around the same era which I picked up last year. It came with a 7402 group and a wicked rainbow paint job...

Andy

OOO lets see it I don't mind if you post it to this thread.

Is yours steel?

BTW this is what mine looked like before I returned it to its period correct set up

Attachments

• Merlin web.jpg
    Merlin web.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1,731
It is not for the retrobug but truly I find this "more" original version very smooth looking; I hope it rides the same?

Nope it's very similar to yours except for the paint and it has a 7402 sti group

Andy

lewisfoto":1jtam81j said:
fatfixie":1jtam81j said:
Beautiful !

Andy

OOO lets see it I don't mind if you post it to this thread.

Is yours steel?

Thank you, I too like the way it came out.

Originally the bike had clear coat with spectrum decals, which I may pony up to have redone as Mr. Kellogg offers refinishing services.

Back